[NFBWATlk] Fwd: PUBLIC COMMENT NEED: help us pass the Seattle sidewalk ordinance at 2 pm on 12/12

Young Choi choiyoung7 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 22:13:17 UTC 2023

anisa
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Marci Carpenter via NFBWATlk <nfbwatlk at nfbnet.org>
Date: Thu, Dec 7, 2023 at 12:38 PM
Subject: [NFBWATlk] Fwd: PUBLIC COMMENT NEED: help us pass the Seattle
sidewalk ordinance at 2 pm on 12/12
To: Seattle Chapter <nfbsea at nfbnet.org>, NFB of Washington Talk Mailing
List' List <nfbwatlk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Marci Carpenter <Mjc59 at comcast.net>

 The ordinance that the Seattle City council will be considering is linked
in the email.

Marci

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Cecelia Black <ceceliab at dr-wa.org>
*Date:* December 5, 2023 at 6:35:50 PM PST
*To:* dismobility at googlegroups.com, Madeline Jones <
madelinejones2002 at gmail.com>, Sean Marihugh <s.marihugh at outlook.com>
*Cc:* Anna Zivarts <annaz at dr-wa.org>
*Subject:* *PUBLIC COMMENT NEED: help us pass the Seattle sidewalk
ordinance at 2 pm on 12/12*

Good news- the Seattle sidewalk ordinance (CB 120658
<https://seattle.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=6346441&GUID=4E148010-58B7-4124-A7F8-28CA1C6C9275&Options=&Search=>)
passed out of the transportation committee today! *Now we need your help
turning out public comment at the next Seattle city council meeting,
Tuesday, December 12 at 2 pm.* It’s important that 1. this legislation
passes now in order to set a benchmark for sidewalk funding in the next
transportation levy and 2. we show the mayor’s office, SDOT and the next
City Council that there is large community support for pedestrian
infrastructure.

Here is the link where you'll be able to sign up for remote public comment
starting tomorrow at 12 pm next Tuesday.

https://www.seattle.gov/council/committees/public-comment

If you are able to testify in person, even better!  Email me at
ceceliab at dr-wa.org if you are planning on attending in person.

*What the ordinance will do:*

The ordinance will require SDOT to include sidewalk installations and
repairs on all major road construction and repavement projects. Under
current practice, adjacent property owners are responsible for maintaining
the sidewalks which means that the city’s investments in road maintenance
do not extend to the adjacent network of broken sidewalks.  This ordinance
will help put the responsibility of sidewalk maintenance with the city and
creates the groundwork for sidewalks to be included in future funds
dedicated to road improvements.

Check out coverage in the Urbanst
<https://www.theurbanist.org/2023/09/20/morales-proposes-adding-sidewalks-to-seattles-complete-streets-ordinance/>
and Seattle Times
<https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/new-law-would-mandate-construction-repair-of-seattle-sidewalks/>
from earlier this year.

*Cecelia Black*

Seattle Transit Organizer, Disability Mobility Initiative
<http://www.dismobility.com/>

pronouns: she/her

[image: image001.png] <https://www.name-coach.com/cecelia-black>

Disability Rights Washington <http://www.disabilityrightswa.org/>

425-359-5256 (cell) | ceceliab at dr-wa.org

315 5th Avenue S, Suite 850 | Seattle, WA 98104

Donate to support our work <http://www.donatetodrw.org/>

Learn about Week Without Driving <http://www.weekwithoutdriving.org/>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dismobility/SJ2PR18MB5761695324FB01AA7D6C58488584A%40SJ2PR18MB5761.namprd18.prod.outlook.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dismobility/SJ2PR18MB5761695324FB01AA7D6C58488584A%40SJ2PR18MB5761.namprd18.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>