[NFBWATlk] On ADA Anniversary, Republican Lawmakers Mock Disability Accommodation - Disability Scoop - July 28, 2022

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 30 03:14:35 UTC 2022

I have been listening to our black, Latin and Muslim leaders on this issue. Everyone agrees that accessibility of presentation materials is very important, and that some people get carried away with self description, but my friends tell me that not having some self description can erase their identities and leaves them feeling invisible. I don’t think it’s my place to tell them they are wrong because I don’t live in their skin.

A resolution was presented at our national resolutions committee meeting this year which would have the NFB taking the position that all self description should be strongly discouraged. The resolution was drafted by a person of color who was unhappy with the amount of time self description takes up at his company’s virtual meetings. I sympathize with his frustrations. There was a vigorous debate and I listened carefully to everyone. I heard many of my friends describe negative impacts when there is lack of self description. I heard some people argue for the resolution. I ended up voting “no“. The resolution did not pass out of the committee.

Marci