[NFBWATlk] National news you can use

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 20:53:51 UTC 2022

Greetings,

We are all members of the NFB at every level. I want to make sure that our members are keeping up to date with national news. I will be sharing similar items several times a month.

Marci

Accessible COVID-19 Tests:

The federal government is once again making COVID-19 tests available to the public at no cost. Blind people can place one order (which will include twelve tests) for the accessible Ellume tests. Go to ACL.gov/COVIDtests/accessible <http://acl.gov/COVIDtests/accessible> to access the ordering page. If you need to order these tests over the phone, call the Disability Information and Access Line at 888-677-1199.

January Presidential Release:
Mark your calendars for the first Presidential Release of 2023: Wednesday, January 4, at 8:00 p.m., eastern.
https://zoom.us/j/99278902407 <https://zoom.us/j/99278902407>
Webinar ID: 992 7890 2407

News:
Scott LaBarre Celebration of Life:
A Celebration of Life to honor Scott will be held January 21, 2023, in Denver, Colorado, at 4:30 p.m., mountain time. Those wishing to participate in-person are asked to RSVP for planning purposes. Location details will be shared once the RSVP form is completed. Details on how to join virtually are coming soon.
RSVP for the Celebration of Life <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=28251&qid=8162718>

Help Us Meet Our End-of-Year Goals:
If you have already contributed, thank you so very much for your generosity. It is not too late. If you have not supported us financially yet, please consider an end-of-year gift. You can give in one of three ways:
1.    Visit our donate <https://nfb.org/donate> page.
2.    Call 410-659-9314, extension 2430, and contribute by phone.
3.    Mail a check to 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230.

If you are not in a position to support us financially, please consider sharing our messaging and asking friends and family to do so.

2023 Washington Seminar:
We are just five short weeks away from the 2023 Washington Seminar! The sound of hundreds of white canes tapping through the halls of Congress will be music to my ears after being virtual for the past two years. But before we get to Washington, DC, there is still plenty to do to prepare. Details about upcoming zoom trainings will be available soon. Our three Washington Seminar issues for 2023: the Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act, the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act, and eliminating the SSDI earnings cliff.

US Senate Special Committee on Aging Report Regarding the Accessibility of Federal Technology:
On Tuesday, December 14, Senator Bob Casey (PA), the Chairman of the US Senate Special Committee on Aging, published a report authored by the committee titled Unlocking the Virtual Front Door. The report details the findings of an eleven-month investigation detailing “widespread failure across the federal government to ensure that federal technology is accessible for people with disabilities, older adults, and veterans.” The full report can be read on Senator Casey’s website <https://www.aging.senate.gov/press-releases/casey-investigation-details-widespread-failure-by-federal-government-to-ensure-web-accessibility-for-people-with-disabilities-older-adults-and-veterans>.

Where the Blind Work:
Please join us on Thursday, January 19, 2023, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, to celebrate the work and accomplishments of blind and low-vision people with experience in the medical and healthcare field.
Hear about what their typical day looks like.
Hear how attitudinal and accessibility barriers are overcome at work.
Learn about alternative techniques and strategies used to do these jobs.

Register at https://nfb.org/programs-services/employment/where-the-blind-work-webinars-registration <https://nfb.org/programs-services/employment/where-the-blind-work-webinars-registration>.