[NFBWATlk] we can help one another make streets safer

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Tue Aug 18 16:10:41 UTC 2020

Those are good thoughts.  We presented them to the city of Victoria and were
met with an outright refusal.  They were afraid of injuring cyclists.

The streets are one way streets.  If they had simply put the bike lanes on
the other side, there would have been no conflict.  The city decided that
more businesses friendly to cyclists are on the right side of the street and
that asking cyclists to cross through traffic was too inconvenient.  The
convenience of cyclists had more value than the safety of pedestrians.

It is extremely important that we can demonstrate support for our cause.  A
thousand people giving five dollars with supporting comments is better in
this context than one person giving five thousand dollars.  If you're part
of a couple and were planning to give $10, it would be better if each gave
$5 and made a supporting comment.  That's weird, I know, but that seems to
be how crowd funding works.  The more it can be shown that many people
support keeping everyone in their own lanes, the more likely it is that
cities will keep us in mind as they plan.

Once again, the link is

https://www.canadahelps.org/en/pages/help-with-inaccessible-bike-lane-design
/