[NFBWATlk] FW: Pro-Tactile Newsletter! Summer 2019

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Tue Aug 27 17:40:43 UTC 2019

From: Heather Melendez - DBSC <AdminAssistant at seattledbsc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 10:24 AM
To: DBSC Info <info at seattledbsc.org>
Subject: Pro-Tactile Newsletter! Summer 2019

DEAFBLIND SERVICE CENTER

[cid:f5685669-fbee-4edd-bfd4-a364d8a678dc]

Summer 2019

Greetings!

I hope you all are enjoying the last few weeks of summer!  We are lucky that we have not experienced any heat waves over 90 degrees here in Seattle!

Board Members

Jorge Aristizabal has resigned as board member for DBSC. He served on the board in a variety of roles such as; Board President, Vice President, and board member for over 10 years. DBSC would like to express our thanks and gratitude for his commitment to DBSC. We will miss you.

We are currently looking for a new board member for DBSC. If you are interested, please contact Diane Poulin at: contactboardprez16 at gmail.com<mailto:contactboardprez16 at gmail.com>.

Congratulations to Oregon State Government - Communication Facilitator (CF) Program in Oregon

DBSC provides a very important service for the Deafblind community. This is our Communication Facilitator (CF) Program. The first of its kind started right here in Washington State. The Communication Facilitator Program (CF) enables DeafBlind individuals to access videophones (VP) and video relay services. A CF is a skilled signer who copies sign language from a caller as shown on a videophone screen and provides visual information to a deafblind person through close vision or tactile sign language during VRS and/or face-to-face calls.  DBSC is contracted with the State of Washington’s Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ODHH) in providing this program.

DBSC is excited to learn that the Oregon legislative has passed a bill requiring the state government to implement CF services in the state of Oregon for deafblind residents. Stomping and hand waving to the DeafBlind community! Two representatives from the Oregon State Government along with Steve Peck from ODHH recently visited DBSC to learn how the CF Program works, what is involved with invoicing and how to properly process reports. Good luck to them.

DBSC looks forward to seeing CF services grow and spread to all states in America. We want to see all DeafBlind communities experience equality in communication access.

If you would like more information about our CF program, Please contact Jackie Engler- Morris at: jengler at seattledbsc.org<mailto:jengler at seattledbsc.org>.

DBSC Open House

DBSC hosted our first Open House on June 27th, 2019. The goal was to recruit people who were interested in working as a sub-contractor with us as a Support Service Provider (SSP), Communication Facilitator (CF), and/or Interpreter. Several people showed up to learn about the services we offer and opportunities that are available to them. It was a successful Open House as we were able to recruit several eager individuals! We are delighted to let you know that we will host another Open House again soon. Please keep your eye open for an upcoming flyer.

Facebook

DBSC would like to announce that we have transferred to a new Facebook page. You will find the link on the current page, or you can click here: https://www.facebook.com/SeattleDBSC/  Please click “like” and share!

DBSC/WSDBC Cookout

 DBSC/WSDBC hosted a summer cookout again this year at Jefferson Park in Seattle on Saturday, August 3rd, 2019. Approximately 40 DeafBlind individuals excitedly came to mingle with old and new faces and enjoy delicious food. The weather was a perfect mix of sunny and warm with a light breeze. Beautiful views of the city and surrounding forest were incredible. The park is spacious and allows for lots of enjoyable activities.

Many thanks to DBSC/WSDBC board members and volunteer SSP’s for their time and effort to make the event fun and successful!

See you next summer!

[cid:12bca8ea-1f0a-4830-a29e-0831194fb067]

(Photo Description: Diane Poulin and her son Joseph McKinley stand conversing on a pathway. Others in the background leisurely walk under a clear blue sky.)

[cid:image001.png at 01D55CC3.D7AF0F90]

(Photo Description: Terri Curnutt sits on a blue lawn chair enjoying a plate of vegetables.)

[cid:89fbf55b-bdd3-44ae-a22a-aacf27049290]

(Photo Description: Dina Marie Castillo sits conversing with Ken & Annie Sting. Many others are sitting and standing in the background enjoying each other’s company and the sunshine.)

[cid:7125eab6-8b4c-48df-9fa5-d3fa7a008905]

(Photo Description: A further away view of all Cookout attendees standing under a shaded cover. Two blue tents stand in the background.)

[cid:image002.png at 01D55CC3.D7AF0F90]

(Photo Description: Many people line up on either side of a long table with various food choices such as cookies, fruit, and salads.)

Events

DeafThrive