[NFBWATLK] New version of HB 1706 passes the Senate

Elizabeth Rene rene0373 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 16:20:56 UTC 2019

Marci,
Sorry I’ve been out of the picture due to a back injury. What needs now to be done by others? I belong to the Washington Employment Lawyers Association, WELA.org, and these lawyers fight for workers rights. They just what legislation passed to bar employers from imposing non-compete provisions on many classes of employees. With phone calls from the lawyers on my list serve help? Please advise.
Thanks. I’ll need to inform them, so please give me a quick synopsis. Maybe you can contact them yourself concerning your ongoing efforts after the governor signs this bill. There are employment lawyers associations throughout the country, and they have some clout. So maybe they could be an ally from now on.
BTW, did you hear the NPR broadcast today about how’s the Goodwill reports most of the theft in Seattle (with target being in second place)? Homeless people are being sent to jail for up to 12 days for stealing donated items from the Goodwill! And they are seeking civil penalties against them as well. So the target audience for the Goodwill — people with disabilities and other poverty-producing conditions — are being oppressed by the very organization that’s claiming credit for helping them. Pete Holmes says he’s against this practice, but his assistant city prosecutors are still bringing the cases to court.
Please let me know if my colleagues at WE LA can still help.
Best regards,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth M René
Attorney at Law