[NFBWATLK] Fw: Lighthouse for the Blind Job Announcement
kdaniel29 at ymail.com
Thu Sep 6 15:06:58 UTC 2018
Title: Accessibility Technician
Location: Seattle, Washington
Dept.: Employee& Community Services (ECS)
Reports to: AccessibilityManager
Hours: Full-time, M/F, Days
Salary: Commensurate with knowledge, skills, andabilities
Who we are:
The Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc. is a private, not-for-profit social enterprise providing employment, support, and training opportunities for people who are blind, DeafBlind, and blind with other disabilities. The Lighthouse has provided employment and support to blind people in our community since 1918.
Who the successful applicant is:
Do you enjoy staying current on new adaptive and mainstream technologies? Does the idea of finding clever new ways to apply existing technology to solve accessibility challenges appeal to you? Are you handy with tools, electronics, wiring, computers, and software?
Do you have experience with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, reasonable accommodations in the workplace, and accessibility adaptations for people who are blind?
Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple tasks, projects, and customer needs with competing deadlines?
Are you comfortable working with and around industrial and manufacturing equipment in a production environment, as well as in office and other settings?
The Lighthouse is currently recruiting for an Accessibility Technician.
This position will implement a variety of high and low tech adaptive solutions to support Lighthouse employees, mission, programs, initiatives, and projects, with a primary focus on implementing, expanding, and diversifying organizational accessibility capabilities and supports.
Essential Job Functions:
- Follow direction of Accessibility Program manager, and in consultation with other staff, research, develop, purchase, install, and deliver accessibility solutions in manufacturing, office, contact center and retail settings
- Perform Section 508/WCAG accessibility testing for websites and software as directed
- Conduct workplace and workstation accommodations assessments and create reports
- Provide adaptive hardware and software advice and support to internal customers at all levels
- Help maintain organizational compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 508, WCAG and other accessibility legislation
- Assess and respond to accommodations requests from all departments
- Assist in the maintenance of files, provide documentation, data collection, reports and metrics as needed
- Monitor maintenance and warranty information of AT equipment
- Assist with the implementation of organization-wide employee accommodations related trainings
- Travel to Inland Northwest Lighthouse and other satellite locations as needed
- Attend relevant conferences, webinars and other learning opportunities to keep current on emerging technologies and rule changes
- Support the Accessibility Manager in the development of annual budget and work plans
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Excellent written and interpersonal communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail in execution of daily work and related documentation
- Three (3) years of experience in workplace accommodations, workstation assessment, and implementation of adaptive technologies in the workplace, or related equivalent experience
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. up to ten times per day
- Must be able to use most common hand tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers), power tools (electric drill, saws, soldering), and have a solid maintenance/handyman type skill set - (Be able to measure things, assemble things, drill a pilot hole and fasten with a screw, know the difference between SAE/imperial and metric measurements, know what a torx bit, an Allen wrench, and a Philips head screw is, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of a variety of adaptive technologies including but not limited to: screen reading software, screen magnification, CCTV, refreshable braille devices, and portable device accessibility
- Thorough knowledge of ADA and related accessibility legislation and regulations
- Strong knowledge of MS Office suite, particularly Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Strong organizational and scheduling skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact successfully in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner with a wide range of cultural backgrounds and personalities
- Demonstrated customer service orientation and ability to meet customer expectations in a timely and consistent manner
- Ability to think proactively, plan accordingly, and anticipate customer and organizational need
- Ability to follow direction, work independently, and collaborate successfully in a team dynamic
- Ability to conduct thorough internet research for price comparison and product reviews, in order to make well considered purchase recommendations.
- Interest and ability in staying current with the state of the art in all areas of adaptive solutions and technology
- Ability to travel as needed for work related activities and projects as required.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- JAWS screen reader scripting ability very desirable
- 3d modeling, CAD, GIS experience desirable
- 2 or more years HTML coding experience desirable
Resumesand Cover Letters may be sent to:
Sr.Director of Recruiting and Employment
kdaniel at seattlelh.org
Formore information on the Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc. organization, pleasevisit:
More information about the NFBWATLK