[NFBWATLK] Dr. Tim Cord

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Thu Oct 25 14:19:28 UTC 2018

On Friday, October 26 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time, our featured guests on In
Perspective will be Dr. Tim Cordes. Here is a brief summary.

Tim Cordes was his class's valedictorian At the University of Notre Dame
where he earned a bachelor's degree in Biochemistry. He graduated from the
Medical Scientist Training Program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison,
earning both a Ph.D. in Biomolecular Chemistry and an M.D.  He is believed
to be the only blind person ever to obtain these dual degrees.   He has
written computer software that uses sound to help sighted and blind
individuals understand the structure of proteins.  He completed a residency
in psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where he also finished
a fellowship in Addiction Psychiatry.  He currently works at University
Health Services at the University of Wisconsin assisting college students
with their mental health needs.  "Because that part of my life was so
pivotal for whom I am still becoming, working with college students seems
like a natural fit for me."

Tim tries to serve as a resource and mentor for visually impaired students
and professionals at various stages of their careers.  Along the way, he
carried the Olympic torch for the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Games and
earned black belts in jujitsu and tae kwon do while making time to be a
husband and father.

While we are doing the program on Skype, you are welcome to call in. I will
arrange for you to hear us on a conference line. Just call 712-775-8984, and
use pass code 514295. All you need to do is listen to the show and wait for
me to cue you as a caller. When you come on the line, do not speak until I
identify you. If more than one caller is on the line, do not interrupt
because In Perspective is being aired on several media outlets. When I
announce you as a caller, you can then speak to us.

We hope to hear from you on Friday between 11:00 a.m. and noon Eastern Time
on In Perspective.

Bob Branco