[NFBWATLK] Seeking recommendations for a personal driver

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Apr 5 04:52:37 UTC 2017

Kelowna Is a much smaller town than Seattle, but perhaps a retired taxi
driver might be available.  A driver we had known suddenly disappeared.  We
learned that he had been forced to give up his taxi license because he had a
heart attack and was using a defibrillator.  He still had his ordinary
driver's license and was perfectly safe behind the wheel, but rules required
that he not drive professionally.

He was bored with retirement.  He also loved kids and had no family.  It was
a wonderful match!  He drove for us whenever we needed him for more than
sixteen years.  At first he drove children to activities.  As they grew up
and got their licenses, he only drove for Paul and me.

Last summer his health declined quickly and dramatically.  Our children
began driving for him.  He died this February; they felt as if they'd lost a
grandfather.

I don't know how you'd find a willing retired taxi driver in Seattle.  You
might check with senior centers.  Perhaps you could get a group of people
who would be willing to be on a list to be called when you need a driver or
to drive for specific scheduled activities.  There are probably a number of
retired people who would be glad of a morning's work or a few after school
trips.  There are probably more than a few spouses of retirees who would
encourage their partner to get out from underfoot once in a while.  Grin!