[nfbwatlk] thoughts on the NFB of Washington convention

Les Fitzpatrick lfitz50 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 21:08:00 UTC 2016

Ben that was great.

Les Fitzpatrick

Piano Technician
Ham Call Sign: K5FPT

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Prows, Bennett (HHS/OCR) via nfbwatlk
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2016 1:46 PM
To: NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List
Cc: Prows, Bennett (HHS/OCR)
Subject: Re: [nfbwatlk] thoughts on the NFB of Washington convention

Hello Marci and Listers,

Well, I blew it. I wanted to be the first to put a report on the convention on this list, but events and travel got in the way, and I just haven't posted about our most recent NFB of Washington convention until now. When these reports get to be late by more than a week, some would say the item is stale, but not in this case. I may be late, but I wanted to enthusiastically say that this year's convention was one for the record books. Not only did we have more registrants this year than we have in modern times, but we had more meetings, and energy than we have in many years. This isn't to disparage any of the leaders of past conventions, (me included), but the fact that there were more active, vibrant participants is a testament to our growth and, yes, popularity of purpose in recent days, weeks and months. Those on this list that missed the convention might want to redouble your efforts to attend the convention run by Marci Carpenter as President. Friday afternoon was full of exhibiters, showing us the exciting technology available for the blind this year. The state board meeting was held earlier in the convention this year, and was quite well attended. We heard highlights from conference call board meetings now held monthly by the board, and Ever Lee Hairston was introduced as our national representative and Marci has already reported. On both Friday and Saturday evening, after the formal meetings were finished, the Seattle chapter opened a tremendously successful hospitality room, where many of us really enjoyed talking with old friends, meeting new ones, singing all kinds of songs hosted by our own homegrown musicians and sharing wine, beer and other spirits along with the sodas and snacks aplenty.

The innovative aspects of this convention kept us all involved and energized this  year. The Saturday afternoon breakout sessions showed that we have many aspects in the NFB of Washington. The parents of blind children, the diabetic Action network, the blind parents and blind students as well provided opportunities for a lot of information sharing and even suggestions for future activities.   A group of folks met to work on revitalizing the Tacoma chapter, and many of the attendees met to discuss the future of technology for the blind.
The formal  morning sessions on Saturday and Sunday, as well as the banquet had a number of new and different presentations as well as some activities that are part of the institution of the NFB of Washington. Jacob Struiskma talked about goalball teams and the excitement of playing this game designed particularly for blind participants. I particularly enjoyed auctioning items  at various points of the sessions. As a matter of historic fact, several items were sold at the banquet,  and for the first time ever, my daughter Elizabeth attended and helped the fund raiser run smoothly. Gary Mackenstadt was the master of ceremonies at the Saturday night dinner, and as Marci mentioned, we were all treated to a classic speech about civil rights and the National Federation of the Blind by Ever Lee Hairston. She even recited a poem accompanied by recorded music toward the end of her speech, which really added a new dimension to the emotions felt at the banquet.

The Sunday morning session featured presentations, roll playing and as Marci said, table discussions concerning NFB legislation, legislator education and how to pass bills and ordinances. This State is going to push hard for all the NFB national legislation during the coming year, partly powered by the feeling of renewal and commitment experienced at this year's convention.

Marci, this was an outstanding convention, and I think you have shown that new and innovative agendas work. I can't wait to see what happens during the year, and am even more excited about what might happen at next year's convention.

/s/

Bennett Prows