[nfbwatlk] [nagdu] Concerns arise over Uber's accessibility forpersons withdisabilities

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 03:14:08 UTC 2015

Hi Arielle, well, in this case, the guy didn't claim an allergy,
it was based on his religious beliefs, he said.  As I understand
it , if a driver does have allergies, and it can be medically
proven, then the company is supposed to provide another driver.
At least that is how it works with cab companies.

Now, for several years, ow had allergies to dog, mold, dust
mites, a bunch of other stuff.  I had to take meds.  But
generally if someone is allergic, the reaction gradually happens,
and once the offending allergen is gone, it clears up.

In airplanes, they are supposed to accommodate both people by
having the person with the allergy move a bunch of rows away.  I
have ridden buses with people with allergies, and as ow was
sitting toward the front, they would move to the back.  And
statistically, most people with allergies to dogs or cats can
handle being around them for a short period of time.  When I was
getting my allergy shots, ow went to the allergy clinic.  I
always had my dog with me.  But they said that it wasn't a
problem, because I wasn't there that long, their floors were
tile, no carpeting, and generally most people can handle short
exposure to dogs, and they could do mitigating things, like have
the person with the allergy sit far away from me, and of course,
not touch the dog.  Hope this helps.    Debby