[nfbwatlk] Jack Z is gone!

Fri Aug 28 16:51:53 UTC 2015

Breaking: Mariners fire GM Jack Zduriencik ><http://mynorthwest.com/258/2802115/Mariners-fire-GM-Jack-Zduriencik>
< Seattle Mariners<http://mynorthwest.com/category/mariners>
Mariners relieve GM Jack Zduriencik of duties
*         Share<javascript:void()>
By Brady Henderson<http://mynorthwest.com/258/2802115/Mariners-fire-GM-Jack-Zduriencik>, 710 ESPN Seattle | August 28, 2015 @ 8:33 am
[http://www.mynorthwest.com/emedia/seattle/13/1359/135925.jpg?filter=mynw/620x370_cropped]The Mariners have fired Jack Zduriencik, who has been the team's general manager since 2009. (AP)
The Mariners have fired general manager Jack Zduriencik, bringing to an end a tenure that began with promise but instead is closing in on its seventh season without a playoff appearance.
The team made the announcement Friday morning. Assistant general manager Jeff Kingston will handle GM responsibilities for remainder of the season.
The Mariners entered the season with what appeared to be their best team since Zduriencik became the general manager in 2009. Some even predicted Seattle to reach the World Series, but as of Friday the Mariners were 10 games under .500 and fourth place in the American League West with only the slimmest chances of reaching the postseason.
"We have reached the point when change of leadership of our baseball operations is needed for the Seattle Mariners to reach our goal of winning championships," said Mariners president Kevin Mather. "We are very disappointed with the results this season, and are not satisfied with the current operation. The search for a permanent general manager will begin immediately, and while there is no deadline, we expect to have a new GM in place as soon as practical."
Mather added: "We have great respect for Jack and his work ethic. He was an excellent representative of the Mariners both within the game of baseball and in the community. On behalf of the entire organization, I wish him and (his wife) Debbie all the best, and thank him for all his efforts."
Zduriencik's firing is a matter of course, a move that many -- including 710 ESPN Seattle's Mike Salk<http://mynorthwest.com/258/2801756/Its-time-for-the-Mariners-to-fire-GM-Jack-Zduriencik> -- had been calling for.
Said Mariners CEO Howard Lincoln: "On behalf of our ownership group, I want to thank Jack for his loyalty and hard work over the years, and for the quiet dignity with which he has carried himself. During his tenure, Jack was dedicated to building a winning team, and at the same time, has embodied the Mariners commitment to the community by supporting many charities and causes, and making a difference in our community. We wish Jack and his lovely wife Debbie all the best."