[nfbwatlk] Washington State Bar Association

Fred fredhardyway at live.com
Tue Jul 29 05:56:31 UTC 2014

Congratulations!
Fred Hardyway

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Rene via nfbwatlk
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 2:36 PM
To: nfbwatlk at nfbnet.org
Subject: [nfbwatlk] Washington State Bar Association

Dear list,
I am happy to let you all know that this weekend the Washington State Bar Association's Board of Governors unanimously voted to appoint me to the WSBA  Character and Fitness Board. This body conducts hearings and makes recommendations to the Washington State Supreme Court regarding candidates for admission to practice law whose fitness to do so has come into question, and here's evidence and makes recommendations regarding the discipline of lawyers charged with violating the rules of professional conduct.
I am happy about this because this board also has the authority to recommend changes in admission to practice rules that potentially discriminate against people on disability grounds. These rules have caused growing concern among disability advocates in this state over the past year. Serving on this board may put me in a position to help remove unfair barriers to law practice for people whose fitness and competence he is questioned  due to disability status alone.

Last month, I was also invited to serve on the bar associations court rules and procedures committee.
I think that it's important for blind people to get involved in every area of life where we are interested and able to serve.

Elizabeth M René
Attorney at Law
WSBA #10710
KCBA #21824