[nfbwatlk] FW: [wtbbl] A new issue of WTBBL's "READING MATTERS" newsletter is here!

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Jul 8 21:27:12 UTC 2014

From: WTBBL [mailto:wtbbl at list.statelib.wa.gov]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 9:39 AM
Subject: [wtbbl] A new issue of WTBBL's "READING MATTERS" newsletter is
here!

Reading Matters is provided in text, pdf, Web-braille and audio versions on
our website at  <http://www.wtbbl.org/newsletter.aspx>
http://www.wtbbl.org/newsletter.aspx.

READING MATTERS

Second Quarter 2014

David Junius, Editor

Washington Talking Book & Braille Library

2021 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA98121-2783

8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday

Phone: 206-615-0400 • Statewide toll free: 1-800-542-0866

 <mailto:wtbbl at sos.wa.gov> wtbbl at sos.wa.gov •  <http://www.wtbbl.org>
www.wtbbl.org

THAT ALL MAY READ...

********

>From the Director by Danielle Miller

Spring and summer are a busy time for us at WTBBL. In April, we recognized
our amazing volunteers with our annual volunteer appreciation event. This
year we had lots of good treats and Indu Sundaresan, author of The Twentieth
Wife and other novels, was our speaker.

          Next, in May, we had one of our favorite events, the Ten-Squared
High Tea. Ten-Squared is a club for library patrons who are 100 years old or
older. WTBBL currently has 66 centenarians, and three were able to join us
at the tea. The tea included an induction ceremony for one of our newest
centenarians and a presentation by Kat Richardson, author of the Greywalker
series. (On the front cover are Isidore and new inductee Vivian.)

          We celebrated Dia de los Libros/Dia de los Niños with booklists
and fun activities sent to our youth patrons. Finally, on June 14, we kicked
off the summer reading program, “Fizz, Boom, Read/Spark a Reaction.” You can
learn more about it at  <http://www.wtbbl.org/youth.aspx>
www.wtbbl.org/youth..aspx!

          Many of you enjoy getting books from BARD — some by way of the iOS
app for iPhone, iPad, or iPod. Now, in addition to the NLS-produced books on
BARD, you can download books produced at regional libraries. WTBBL was part
of the pilot for local books on BARD and our first book up was The Alpine
Journey, the 10th book in the Emma Lord series of mysteries by Mary Daheim
(DBC 00004). It was narrated in our studios by Cynthia Ellis. You can look
forward to more WTBBL produced books on BARD so keep checking and keep
reading!

          Looking forward to the fall, the WTBBL Patron Advisory Council
(PAC) will be recruiting new members. In late September or early October,
watch for a letter in the mail announcing the PAC application period, an
email announcement on our listserv, and a note and application on our
website.

          As always, feel free to contact me with questions or thoughts.

Wishing you a wonderful summer,

Danielle

********

>From the State Librarian by Rand Simmons

It seems true that if a state agency is not an essential part of state
government, offering essential services, it will get little attention from
those that make decisions about it. Secretary of State Kim Wyman has said
that the Washington State Library (WSL) provides essential services.

I have recently spent time thinking about the essential services offered
through the WSL. I think we all would say that the services provided by
WTBBL are not only important to patrons but they are also essential.

          Serving our patrons at WTBBL is codified in statute RCW 27.04(14),
“Duties of the State Librarian.” Although the language needs updating and
our service is to a broader audience than what is described, “Providing for
library and information services to persons throughout the state who are
blind and/or physically handicapped” is a mandate that we take seriously.

          You may not know, however, about the essential services provided
in other programs of the WSL:

•  Providing information on Washington history and culture.

•  Facilitating access to state government through state publications and
information services.

•  Serving communities through libraries. This happens largely through our
federal Library Services and Technology Act funding.

•  Providing library services to residents in state Department of
Corrections and Department of Social and Health Services facilities.

•  Meeting the needs of current and potential customers through digital
collections.

          Just as WTBBL leadership are making smart decisions about future
services to its patrons, we too must be strategic in our other programs.

          A finding to the “Duties of the State Librarian,” cited above,
reads: “The state of Washington recognizes that an informed citizenry is
indispensable to the proper functioning of a democratic society. It is the
basic right of citizens to know about the activities of their government, to
benefit from the information developed at public expense, and to have
permanent access to the information published by state agencies.”

          Those are my thoughts. I’d love to hear yours.

Rand Simmons

Washington State Librarian

(360) 570-5585

rand.simmons at sos.wa.gov

********

Technology at the Library by Herrick Heitman

How to Download BARD Books to a Victor Reader Stream

          Start by logging in to BARD (http://nlsbard.loc.gov/) and
searching for a book. The easiest way to find specific titles or authors is
to use the “Search the collection” field. You can use quotation marks around
the title phrase or author’s name to limit the search. The way the catalog
works, you need to enter the author’s last name first — “Grisham, John”
brings up 36 titles of his books, but “John Grisham” only brings up somebody
else’s book where he wrote the forward.

          Go down the list of books and find one that you want to read.
Click on the “Download” link below the book’s summary (for example,
“Download The Runaway Jury”).

          A dialog box will open up asking you whether you want to “Open” or
“Save” the book somewhere on your computer. Click on “Save” (some computers
will do this automatically).

          Now on to unzipping (or extracting) the book file and moving it to
your SD card:

1.  Start by plugging your SD card into the card reader on your computer or
plug in the Victor Reader using the provided cable.

2.  Look for the “Downloads” folder in the “Favorites” section on your
computer and find the book you just downloaded. It should have an icon that
shows a file with a zipper.

3.  Now click “Extract all files”. Click on “Browse” to tell the computer
where to send the extracted (unzipped) files. It will give you options on
where you can store the files on your computer.

4.  Click on the arrow next to “Computer.” This will open a list of folders
on your computer. Select the folder named “VRStream.” This is your SD card.

5.  In that folder are more folders. Click on the folder named “$VRDTB.”
This will highlight where BARD books go.

6.Now click on “Make New Folder.” A “New Folder” will show up beneath your
“$VRDTB” folder. Clear the “New Folder” text and name this folder with the
title of the book you’re downloading. Now click “OK.”

7.  On the next screen click “Extract” to start the extraction (unzipping)
process. When the extraction is done, safely remove your SD card from the
computer and insert it into your Victor Reader.

You can find the downloaded book on your Victor Stream by pressing 1 until
you hear “Digital Talking Books.” Use the 4 (“Previous Book”) and 6 (“Next
Book”) to move around on your Digital Talking Books shelf until you find the
book. Press “Play” to start the book.

Enjoy! And please give the library a call if you need help!

********

Shannon’s Haiku

WTBBL maintains a small browsing collection in the lobby for the convenience
of patrons.  All books in this collection are brand new, and most have not
been announced in Talking Book Topics yet.  So, if you’re in the downtown or
South Lake Union area and are running low on books, drop by 2021 9th Avenue
to get some nice new ones.

                                        The browsing shelf is

                                        Full of books that can be checked

                                        Out by everyone!

********

>From the Registrar’s Desk by Tyler Kaye

          BARD users who enjoy reading magazines now have an easier way of
staying up-to-date. A new “subscription” feature allows you to have the
latest issues of your favorite periodicals automatically added to your wish
list. This is especially useful with the BARD Mobile app, as you no longer
have to keep checking the “recently added titles” list. You also have the
option of BARD sending you an email when new magazines are ready.

          To add a subscription, log in to your BARD account at
http://nlsbard.loc.gov/ and go to the “Magazines by Title” drop-down box.
Selecting your magazine will take you to a list of 12 months’ worth of
issues. Press the “Subscribe” button at the top of that page to start using
the feature. Once you are subscribed, the same button will allow you to
unsubscribe in the future.

          You may also choose to have an email sent to you when BARD adds a
new magazine to your wish list. From the BARD main page, choose the “Update
Account Settings” link. There you will find a drop-down box where you may
indicate you would like email notification when new subscribed magazines are
available. Another option allows you to have magazines automatically deleted
from your wish list once they are over a year old.

          Through the courtesy of other NLS network libraries, a number of
magazines are available on BARD that are not available by mail:

• Audubon (audio)

• Choice Magazine Listening (audio)

• Cowboys and Indians (audio)

• Humpty Dumpty (audio)

• Missouri Conservationist (audio/braille)

• National Geographic Traveler (audio)

• Playboy (audio)

• Seventeen (audio)

• Smithsonian (audio)

• Southern Living (audio)

• Vital Speeches of the Day (audio)

• Your Dog (braille)

          As always, complete lists of audio and braille magazines available
by mail are published at the end of each Talking Book Topics and Braille
Book Review. Call us at (206) 615-0400 or (800) 542-0866 if you would like
to add or discontinue magazines by mail.

********

WTBBL Update by Amy Ravenholt

The National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS)
has contracted with commercial audio producers to allow us to circulate more
of their books through our program. The books that NLS gets from major
publishers like Hachette will increase the number of audio titles made
available each year. The books will also come out on digital cartridges
closer to when the print version is published, so patrons won’t have to wait
as long to hear some of the best sellers.

          There is one drawback to the library getting a wider variety of
books more quickly: NLS will not have time to review the books and tag them
if they have content like strong language, violence, or explicit sex.
Instead, all these books will be tagged as “unrated.” If you do not want to
receive these “unrated” books, tell a readers advisor at WTBBL and they will
put an exclusion on your account so you don’t get them automatically.
However, some of these unrated titles may NOT have any content issues,
causing you to miss out on some good reads. As always, the library will send
you any book you specifically ask for, no matter what exclusions you have on
your account.

          If you are curious about the codes on your account that determine
what books you get, we encourage you to call the library and chat with one
of the readers advisors. We want you to be pleased with the books you get,
and the more we talk with you the better job we can do picking your books!

********

The next Brown Bag Book Club will be on Thursday, September 4, at noon, led
by Amy. The book will be Ivan Doig’s This House of Sky: Landscapes of a
Western Mind. Doig recollects his childhood with memorable portraits of his
father, grandmother, and the lonely ranchlands of Montana. It’s available
from WTBBL as digital book DB 12548.

Questions? Call David at (800) 542-0866.

********

Youth Services Librarian Update by Mandy Gonnsen

Check out these new arrivals for youth! More titles are available by
contacting the Youth Services Librarian at wtbbl at sos.wa.gov.

DBW 8513  Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes [An I Can Read Book] by
Jane O’Connor.

Nancy is very excited about making cupcakes for the bake sale at school, but
she gets into a jam when she forgets to pay attention.  A beginning reader -
Level 1 of I Can Read. For preschool to grade 2.  2010.

BR 1008; LP 5611; DB 39643 Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume.

Peter finds his two-year-old brother Fudge an ever-increasing problem as the
child proceeds to get lost at the movies and eats Peter’s pet turtle. For
grades 3-6. 1972.

DB 36384; BR 9884 Missing May by Cynthia Rylant.

Orphaned at 6 and raised by an elderly West Virginia aunt and uncle with
more devotion than money, Summer is 12 years old when Aunt May dies. While
Summer’s grief is profound, Uncle Ob seems absolutely unable to go on living
without his beloved May; that is, until he decides that her presence lingers
nearby and that somehow he can contact her. Newbery Medal Winner. For grades
5-8. 1993.

DB 77917 Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan.

Twelve-year-old Willow Chance, a genius and social outsider, must learn to
connect to people and find a surrogate family after her parents are killed
in a car accident. For grades 6-9 and older readers. 2013.

DBW 8448 Flip by Martyn Bedford.

Alex goes to bed one cold December night, but wakes in another part of the
country — in someone else’s room. Worst of all, when Alex looks in the
mirror, he sees someone else’s face. Alex learns that he’s in the body of a
boy named “Flip” and has no clue how he got there. Trapped in another life,
Alex struggles to find his true identity and the real reason why he’s
switched lives. For junior high school and older readers. 2011.

LP 25358; DBW 8392 Cinder [#1, Lunar Chronicles] by Marissa Meyer.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar
people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome
Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the
world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.  For senior high and
older readers. 2012.

********

          Join WTBBL for the annual Summer Reading Program with “Fizz Boom
Read” and “Spark a Reaction!”

          All children reading at a preschool through grade 6 level are
invited to participate in the “Fizz Boom Read” program!

          All teens, with grades 7-12 reading level, are invited to
participate in the “Spark a Reaction” program!

Learn more and sign up at  <http://www.wtbbl.org/youth.aspx>
www.wtbbl.org/youth.aspx!

********

Volunteer Spotlight on Deborah Brandt

I have been narrating audio books at WTBBL since February 2007.

          When I retired from a 30-year broadcasting career, I decided to
volunteer at the library in honor of an acquaintance of mine, WTBBL narrator
Kate Fleming. Kate was a nationally known, award-winning audio book narrator
who died in a 2006 storm that caused a flash flood in Madison Valley.

          I was born and raised in Spokane. I skated with the Ice Capades in
the early ’70s. Following that, I began a broadcasting career that spanned
both Texas and Washington.

          Here in Seattle, I was the local host of NPR’s “Morning Edition”
on KUOW for more than eight years. Since retiring from broadcasting, I have
obtained a degree in metaphysical science and am an active ordained minister
in addition to my volunteer work.

          Volunteering for WTBBL is very fulfilling. I feel I’m using my
talents and skills to be of service to others. It’s also fun to be able to
read aloud for others in a creative, artistic way rather than my familiar
authoritative news delivery.

          I enjoy recording Mary Daheim’s murder mysteries. I can relate to
the protagonist Emma Lord, a newspaper owner and journalist in the small
town of Alpine, Washington.

          I have also recorded children’s books, including one that required
me to learn some Spanish with the help of WTBBL’s receptionist Rocio.

          The books I’ve recorded so far include The Alpine Fury: #6, Emma
Lord Mysteries by Mary Daheim (DBW 7945), Dancing Home by Alma Flor Ada (DBW
8418), and Pearl Verses the World by Sally Murphy (DBW 8419), among others.
Check these out and enjoy!

********

Thank you for an AMAZING year! by Laura Mott

As we wrap up the fiscal year, we are taking the time to reflect on what a
remarkable year it was and how grateful we are for you, our patrons and
donors. Individual donors gave over $100,000 in the last year through our
annual campaign, annual report, and our recent Seattle Foundation GiveBIG
campaign.

          Thank you, thank you, thank you, from the bottom of our hearts!

          Gifts to WTBBL come to us in all forms — from foundations,
matching gifts from companies, monthly automatic gifts, bequests, and
planned estate gifts. A planned gift helps to ensure that equal access to
information and reading materials remains possible for generations to come.

          You can make a lasting difference and leave a legacy by
remembering WTBBL in your will. A planned gift such as this is an easy way
to ensure that the audio books, braille materials and services that you
value will be continued in perpetuity, helping to ensure That All May Read.

          We continue to serve you — our patrons, friends, and donors — with
your support through annual gifts and bequests. If you would like more
information on how to include WTBBL in your will, please contact Laura Mott,
Director of Development, (360) 902-4171 or laura.mott at sos.wa.gov.