[nfbwatlk] Launch of Microsoft DisAbility Scholarship Fund
Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Mon Jan 27 17:45:24 UTC 2014
From: Olson, Toby (ESD) [mailto:TOlson2 at ESD.WA.GOV]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 4:35 PM
To: GCDE-INFO at LISTSERV.WA.GOV<mailto:GCDE-INFO at LISTSERV.WA.GOV>
Subject: FW: Launch of Microsoft DisAbility Scholarship Fund
From: Jenny Lay-Flurrie [mailto:jennylf at microsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 4:05 PM
Subject: Launch of Microsoft DisAbility Scholarship Fund
Excited to share details of the new Microsoft DisAbility Scholarship Fund targeting students with disabilities entering college in the fall. This is a new initiative from Microsoft and the DisAbility Employee Resource Group (ERG), built in partnership with Seattle Foundation. The scholarship website is open to applications until March 15th. Please, use your sharing/posting super powers to distribute details to your communities and anyone you feel may benefit. All the details are enclosed, and below.
Any questions, do let me know. Let's change the number :)
Have a great weekend!
Chair DisAbility ERG,
Senior Director Accessibility Customer Experience, Privacy and Online Safety Support.
Microsoft Announces Scholarship for Students with Disabilities
Redmond, WA -- Microsoft is pleased to announce the launch of the Microsoft DisAbility Scholarship<http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/diversity/programs/microsoftdisabilityscholarship.aspx> intended to empower and enable high school students with disabilities to (a) go to college, (b) realize the impact technology has on the world, and (c) target a career in the technology industry.
The scholarship launched Friday, January 17, 2014 and includes a goal to increase enrollment of persons living with a disability in higher education and, in the long term, decrease the unemployment bias for disabled persons.
This new program was started by, and is supported by, Microsoft employees who will select promising high school seniors who require financial assistance in order to enter and successfully complete a vocational or academic college program. This non-renewable $5000 scholarship will be paid to the recipient's Financial Aid Office by the Seattle Foundation on behalf of the DisAbility Employee Resource Group (ERG) at Microsoft.
All candidates must be high school students living with a disability<http://www.who.int/topics/disabilities/en/> who plan to attend a 2 to 4 year University or College program, maintain a cumulative 3.0 CPA or equivalent and have declared a major from the approved list (see scholarship guidelines on application).
To apply for the Microsoft DisAbility Scholarship, the student must meet the following guidelines:
1. Be a current high school senior with living with a disability (as defined by WHO<http://www.who.int/topics/disabilities/en/>), whether that be visual, hearing, mobility, cognitive or speech.
2. Plan to attend an undergraduate program in a 2 or 4-year University/College or Technical College in the fall of the academic year following high-school graduation. Schools must be in the USA or have a USA-Affiliate for financial transactions (contact Seattle Foundation to verify non-USA school's eligibility).
3. Declare a major in engineering, computer science, computer information systems, legal or in business that are approved (i.e. paralegal, pre-law, finance, business administration, or marketing).
4. Demonstrate a passion for technology.
5. Demonstrate leadership at school and/or in the community.
6. Have a high school cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
7. Require financial assistance to attend college.
8. Enrollment status must be full-time or half time.
DisAbility Employee Resource Group
Email: Disability Scholarship Fund<mailto:disschol at microsoft.com?subject=DisAbility%20Scholarship%20Fund>
Philanthropic Services Associate
The Seattle Foundation
scholarships at seattlefoundation.com<mailto:scholarships at seattlefoundation.com>
1200 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1300
Seattle WA 98101-3151
(206) 515-2139 direct
(206) 622-7673 fax
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: DisAbility Scholarship Launch.docx
Size: 16549 bytes
Desc: DisAbility Scholarship Launch.docx
More information about the nfbwatlk