[nfbwatlk] FW: [Wcb-l] News story from Kansas City, MO

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Sat Dec 20 02:28:06 UTC 2014

If the kid had hit somebody with a math book, the school would probably not
have taken away his math book.

Yes, blind people can be mobile without white canes or guide dogs.  If our
canes were irrelevant to our mobility, however, we would not have fought for
the right to keep them with us on airplanes.  Just because we are capable of
functioning without our canes doesn't mean that's an optimal way to
function.

The real issue is how to discipline a child effectively and appropriately.
I maintain that the problem is the child's behavior, not the tool the child
uses to misbehave.  There are more effective ways to teach a kid not to hit
another kid.

Giving a kid a pool noodle instead of a cane because it would keep him from
fidgeting is bizarre.  It indicates to me that the cane is perceived as
serving an inappropriate function.  If the child is using the cane to keep
from fidgeting, he isn't using it appropriately.

Mike, I completely understand and agree with your concern that objecting to
the way this situation was handled might be interpreted or lead to giving a
child a pass on bad behavior.  Though it may turn out that way, I don't
sense that any comments I've read support lower standards of behavior for
blind kids.  Many of us believe the punishment was both ineffective and
inappropriate.