[nfbwatlk] wheelchairs at Seatac and a cane incident

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 06:07:54 UTC 2014

Ugh, Alaska Air. They're the only airline whose staff made me stow my
cane in a closet too, when I was 14. I was young and didn't know
better, so I let them, but I never will now. On a more recent flight
to SEATAC, the flight attendan made me promise that in the event of an
evacuation I would wait for them to assist me after all the other
passengers were evacuated, which they claimed was regulations. No way
I'm doing that. They also asked my sighted husband if he would take
responsibility for helping me in the event of an evacuation; I said we
would look out for each other. I did have one uneventful flight on
Alaska, but I suspect that some of their staff trainings are teaching
inaccurate and overly rigid rules about how to handle disabled
passengers. Generally when I fly I try to be as inconspicuous as I
possibly can and keep my name out of their system so I can avoid the
airline harassment etc. Unfortunately that doesn't always work,
especially when alternative flight booking is involved.
Arielle