[nfbwatlk] understanding our reaction to proffered help

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 21:47:55 UTC 2014

Hi Mary Ellen,
A couple points you raised really speak to me. First, your example
with your friend shows that appropriate behavior is
situation-specific. Her abundant descriptions are appropriate in tai
chi but over the line in your house. Similarly, the lady who spoke to
Don was making an inaccurate assumption that day. But what if there
had been a construction truck or other loud noise going at the time?
Then, a hint about a break in traffic might have been
much-appreciated. Because our needs and preferences vary so much
between situations, I maintain that the most courteous way for sighted
people to interact with us is simply to ask if we need help and let us
decide what we think is appropriate in that moment.
Second, it's interesting how you describe rebellious independence
because my own rebellious independent stage coincided with my
adolescence. I spent several years struggling to gain age-appropriate
independence from parents who meant well but who harbored their own
wrong assumptions about blindness. Around that time I was frequently
admonished not to be rude to well-meaning peers and adults who were
"just trying to help" when they grabbed me or or were otherwise
disrespectful. In fact, I still have a bit of a negative reputation
among family for being "too independent". I was rebellious then, a
little rude, but I really believe in retrospect that I had no other
choice. It was because I refused to succumb to these assumptions that
I was able to succeed in college and work and teach myself how to have
high expectations for myself and eventually find people who treated me
like a competent person. Today I reach out to parents of blind
children in hopes that these children can learn more positive messages
about their blindness and how to handle inappropriate interactions
from the public. I am forever grateful to the NFB for helping me
understand how I deserve to be treated.
Arielle