[nfbwatlk] drive in custodialism

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 05:31:48 UTC 2014

Okay, I'm probably gonna piss some people off, but okay, what the
heck.  You know, we are blind.  We don't always see what's ahead.
It isn't that we need people's help to do things in our lives,
but it sure isn't a bad thing if somebody offers to tell us
what's ahead down the road.  You know, in Denver blind people
have such a reputation for being rude that if a blind person did
need help nobody would help them.  This is the one thing that
used to piss me off when I was not in NFB.  It's that damned
attitude of "I don't need anybody".  We all need each other and
people just need to stop getting their knickers in a knot every
time somebody offers a helpful piece of information.  This world
is so frickin non-civil anyway.  Why do we have to add to it?
Isn't it okay to just smile and say, Thanks, and go on your way?
What does it hurt to treat people respectfully and not assume
just because they offer some information that they think we can't
do stuff without them.  I have been with my husband when he tried
to tell a blind person, "Hey, there's something in front of you."
He could tell that by the way they were using their cane or not
paying attention to what their dog was trying to signal that they
were going to bump in to it.  The person would get all snappy.
And then bam! They'd bump into the very thing he was trying to
tell them was there.  And then they'd be all mad because they
bumped into it.  This is the one thing about NFB that I don't
like, and I'll NEVER be this way.  I have given sighted people
directions.  They don't seem to get all pissy because I do.  It's
only blind folks that do do.  So kick me out if you want to, but
this really frosts me.  We've lost the ability to be human with
one another because we're all so damned scared that people are
going to think us inferior, or dependent, or God only knows what.
We need to get over ourselves.  Well, now that I've had my rant
and will probably get a private reprimand, I think I'll go to
bed.  Good night everybody.    Debby