[nfbwatlk] Deaf-blind woman tests Canada's equality guarantee, The Star, July 29 2014

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Aug 6 19:28:39 UTC 2014

If she were only blind, I would agree with you completely.  However, the
article states that such a lengthy time is the norm for Gallaudet.
Deaf-blindness is not just the sum of deafness and blindness; the
combination has a multiplying effect.

I know a number of blind people who have taken several extra years to
complete their degrees.  To the extent that they give blindness as their
reason, I believe they're wrong and should not be allowed reductions in
indebtedness.  My sister, who has no characteristic that can even remotely
be called a disability and who is extremely bright and conscientious, took
seven years to complete her degree.  She did it while working full time.  My
daughter, Joanne, whom many of you have met, took five years because of
changes in her major.  There are legitimate extenuating circumstances that
mean extra time is required for a course of study.  In my sister's case and
that of my daughter, there should be no reduction in student loans, etc.
If, however, getting a bachelor's degree from Galaudet requires more time
than getting a bachelor's degree from another university, I think the
reduction in student loan indebtedness may be justifiable.

Though I applaud your cautionary note, Mike, I believe this woman's
circumstances have enough significant differences from the norm to justify
different treatment.