[nfbwatlk] maybe of more interest to CFB members: rare 1958 Vancouver baseball broadcast

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Aug 6 04:30:39 UTC 2014

I remember Toledo Mudhens games broadcast with info from the wires.  The
announcer told a story of a pitcher who was working on a no hitter.  Because
he got the wire info a bit ahead of the broadcast, he built up the no hitter
to the max, knowing that it was about to end.  Apparently he got a letter a
few days later from a man who had had little luck in getting his son
interested in baseball.  Finally, with a potential no hitter looming, the
boy was spellbound.  The hit ended his enthusiasm, and his father wrote to
complain bitterly to the announcer.

You could always tell when the game wasn't really live.  It was still
baseball, and still fun to hear.

Now we can use our IPhones to listen to Game Day Audio while following every
pitch using Game Day.  Since the audio is about two pitches behind, it's
easy to get ahead of the announcers.  Tonight I was really happy to end the
suspense in the bottom of the twelfth.  Some days it would be better not to
know early.

I just discovered a few weeks ago that you can close Game Day Audio and the
sound keeps playing.  By opening Game Day, you get both.  SinceWiFi around
here doesn't always seem to have enough band width to keep the audio coming,
the Game Day helps.