[nfbwatlk] OT guide dogs at convention

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Sun Jun 23 14:35:30 UTC 2013

"Test driving a guide dog at convention" certainly would peak my interest,
way before I decided to take the plunge and apply. Good job whomever set
this up.

Becky and skinny butt Jake

                The National Association of Guide Dog Users, a strong &
proud division of the National Federation of the Blind, is proud to announce
some unique items for sale at this year's convention. Whether you are a
guide dog user or not, what we have to offer should be of interest to you!
This message also contains information about the NAGDU meetings at
convention, so please read the entire message!
                As an item of general interest, we will be selling
Florida-themed bottle openers. These high quality metal bottle openers come
in the shapes of a dolphin (with its tail!), a palm tree, a parrot (for all
the parrot heads in our Movement), and a flip-flop. Each opener is $3.00 or
you can purchase all three for $10!
                For the guide dog user, we will have bone-shaped pick-up bag
dispensers emblazoned with the NFB logo and the number for the NAGDU
Information & Advocacy Hotline. These dispensers are $5.00 each.

                This year, NAGDU will hold its annual meeting in two parts,
each followed by a dynamic presentation of interest to all guide dog users.
Both meetings begin promptly at 7:00 p.m. with registration beginning at
6:00 p.m. On Monday, July 1 in Salon 4, Level 2, we will hear our committee
reports, including information about the NAGDU Information & Advocacy
Hotline, our Guide Dog Consumers' Satisfaction Survey, and other initiatives
of NAGDU. Following this portion of the meeting, we will have a panel
discussion concerning service dogs in zoos. The panel will feature a ranking
representative from the Disney Corporation, a representative from a local
community zoo, and the Vice President of Federal Relations with the
Association of Zoos & Aquariums. If you have ever experienced issues
concerning access to a zoo with your guide dog, please help us begin the
dialogue with those who really can make a difference!
                On Wednesday, July 3, NAGDU will meet in Salon 10, Level 2
to hold the second half of its annual meeting, including elections.
Following the Business Meeting, we will hear from guide dog training
programs about their input on our Guide Dog Consumers' Bill of Rights that
was passed at our Annual Meeting in 2011. Please join us to hear your guide
dog training program's input on this important document! Following the
meeting, interested individuals will be given the opportunity to test drive
a guide dog!
                NAGDU looks forward to seeing you at our meetings. If you
have any questions, do not hesitate to get in touch with me. My contact
information is below my signature.

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789 (Office)
888-NAGDU411 (Hotline
President at nagdu.org