[nfbwatlk] elitists, huh?

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Sat Jun 22 23:35:28 UTC 2013

Very well said, Mike!  I've been part of the workshop system as a worker and
as a temporary staff member.  I was a worker at the Toledo Society for the
Blind in the summer of 1972.  The minimum wage at that time was $1.60.  As a
worker, I was paid as little as $5 a day for assembling muffler clamps.
Most of the time I was guaranteed half the minimum wage but "earned" almost
the minimum wage putting muffler clamps in boxes.  The sheltered shop for
which I worked had as chairman of its board the CEO of the company that made
the muffler clamps.  His factory was across the street from the shop; the
workers there were paid union wages, which I can assure you were far more
than the minimum.  No blind worker was ever hired at that factory.  If
anybody complained, the boss pointed out that the jobs the shop workers were
doing could be automated out of existence.  So much for training people for
competitive employment!  By everyone's admission we were doing work that was
normally automated; no jobs doing something similar existed anywhere in
competitive industry.  I've never worked so physically hard in my life!

After I graduated from college, I was employed for six months under a
government sponsored training and job placement program for disadvantaged
workers.  I earned the minimum wage supervising severely developmentally
delayed adults at a different sheltered workshop.  They were given make work
to do; nobody expected any of them to ever be employable.  One young woman
had a form of neural atrophy that meant she couldn't focus on any task for
more than three or four seconds at a time.  If she was walking from one room
to another, a staff member would have to remind her where she was going or
she would stand quietly in the hallway indefinitely.  Another woman had the
lowest IQ ever recorded by the psychologist who tested her.  Sometimes there
wasn't any real work to do, so the people were required to sort nuts and
bolts which the staff took into the next room and mixed together again.  So
much for being productive!One fellow took home his check and came back the
next week saying that he hadn't even received enough money to buy a six pack
to share with his dad.  And those self righteous so-called do-gooders have
the nerve to say that it's the work experience that counts and the pay is
irrelevant to most of the people.  Plantation owners in 1859 said their
slaves appreciated being taken care of by the masters because they were too
childlike to manage on their own.  In my least charitable moments, I wish
all the people defending the sheltered workshop system could spend just one
month being thought about and treated the same way as the workers.  In my
more charitable moments I am ashamed at the very thought of treating any
other human being with such nauseating condescension!