[nfbwatlk] FW: Dan's tip for January 15 2013, (Resources for learning how to use the iPhone and VoiceOver)

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Jan 26 16:00:27 UTC 2013

From: Wcb-l [mailto:wcb-l-bounces at wcbinfo.org] On Behalf Of Sue Ammeter
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:57 AM
To: wcb-l at wcbinfo.org
Subject: [Wcb-l] FW: Dan's tip for January 15 2013, (Resources for learning
how to use the iPhone and VoiceOver)

From: dan [mailto:dthompson5 at mchsi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:16 AM
To: dan
Subject: Dan's tip for January 15 2013, (Resources for learning how to use
the iPhone and VoiceOver)

Resources for learning how to use the iPhone and VoiceOver

wWhile this list may not cover all available sites or access to information
regarding I-Devices, it is a great start for a beginner or seasoned user.

Have a great week!

There is a book you can purchase for $22 in an electronic format (you
download it after

buying it) called Getting Started with the iPhone and iOS5 for Blind users
(an update is

being prepared for iOS6, but most of the information is still correct).
This book is good

because it is written by blind users for blind users.  You will probably
want to go right to the

second section, though, instead of starting out in the first section, which
is about setting up

the phone using iTunes. Here is the link for the book.  Please note it has a
drop down list

where you will need to choose the format you want it in (it defaults to
Braille):

http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/IPHONE-IOS5.html.

In the Apple iphone manual, there is a section on navigating with VoiceOver.
The iphone

manual is one of the Bookmarks in Safari. (Bookmarks is like Favorites in
Internet

Explorer).  You can also access it on the internet at

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf. The part on
VoiceOver is in

Chapter 32, page 115.

Performing tasks with Siri saves a lot of time and work, because it cuts out
a lot of navigation.  Here is an article about what all you can say to Siri:

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/14/what-can-you-say-to-siri-in-ios-6/.

You might like to try a tactile overlay on your screen.  They are available
for purchase from

a company called Speed Dots.  You can also put some small bump dots on there
to mark

important spots (we know that ones called Loc-Dots work), or use brailled
dymo tape cut

into little pieces.  MAB has some that you can come in and try and/or
purchase.  The link to

Speed Dots is http://speeddots.com/shop/index.php.

The Carroll Center has tutorials on using VoiceOver on their website:

http://carroll.org/video-tutorials/voiceover-screen-navigation-on-the-iphone
-4s/

http://carroll.org/video-tutorials/gestures-with-voiceover-on-the-iphone-4s/

A website called Apple Vis has a bunch of info on how to use the iPhone and
on apps that are being used by people with vision loss:
http://www.applevis.com/.

There is an app you can put on your phone called VIA that reviews apps for
the visually impaired.  Search for it in the App Store.

There are lots of websites, blogs, and podcasts where iPhone users describe
how to do things using VoiceOver.  To get podcasts on your iPhone, go to the
Podcasts apps and

search for podcasts on the iPhone and VoiceOver.

Examples are

Today in iOS,

http://feeds2.feedburner.com/tii

iBlindTech Democast,

http://www.iblindtech.com/

Triple-Click Home

http://tripleclickhome.com/

Adaptive Technology Snippets from New Zealand
http://www.rnzfb.org.nz/members/useful-resources/adaptive-technology-snippet

Tech Access Democast.  You can also find iPhone related podcasts under

http://techaccessweekly.com/

Hadley Seminars and Braille Institute.

http://www.hadley.edu/

seroTalk | A podcast and interactive blog on the accessible digital ...
<http://serotalk.com/>  world and I-Devices

http://serotalk.com/

There are email listservs you can join, such as the Viphone group and the
Support for

iDevices group.  An archive of the VIPhone group is at http://www.mail-

archive.com/viphone at googlegroups.com/.  If you want to sign up for their
listserv, go to

www.groups.google.com, and search for Viphone in the search box. There will
be a link on

the site with information about how to join the group.  To join the Support
for iDevices

listserv, go to

om and fill in

the required information.

Send messages to dthompson5 at mchsi.com

This message has been scanned by Microsoft Security essentials

Psalms 91-1, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the
shadow of the Almighty.

Psalms 91-2, I will say of the Lord, he is my refuge and my fortress, my God
in whom I trust.

"