[nfbwatlk] Greater Seattle chapter - Feb. meeting notice and Jan. meeting summary

mjc59 at q.com mjc59 at q.com
Tue Feb 5 00:11:53 UTC 2013

Greetings everyone,

Our next chapter meeting will be held on Saturday, February 16th from 10 a.m. - noon at City University, 521 Wall St. in Belltown. Snacks will be provided. We will be re-adopting our chapter constitution and making plans for the upcoming year. We will be having several guest speakers this year. Stay tuned for more.

Our January meeting was well attended, with 18 members and 2 guests present; Jessiaca Evens, formerly a Seattle chapter member living in Texas and  Fred Cornstrom, a docent at the Museum of Flight. Mr. Cornstrom, along with Federationist and fellow docent Robert Guyette, gave a presentation regarding the museum's efforts to develop accessible tours for blind people. The Museum of Flight, like most museums and exhibits, normally involves looking at airplanes and displays from behind ropes which makes it difficult for blind people to enjoy them. Mr. Cornstrom has built 12 models which blind people can touch, and there is an airplane in which one can crawl around. All materials used in their aircraft are represented. They are inviting blind people to come to the museum and check them out and give our feedback on this tactile tour. See Robert's post on this listserv for ways to contact him to schedule a tour.

Elections were held. The following people were elected;

President - Marci Carpenter

1st Vice President - Mike Mello

2nd Vice President - Noel Nightingale

Secretary - Mary Helen Schreiber

Treasurer - Cind Bennett

Board Members - Jacob Struiksma and James Janney

Everyone thanked Mike Mello for his excellent work as President of our chapter.

Michael Dickneite and Sara Zacharia, chapter member and teachers of blind students in the Seattle Public Schools, told us of a new program which will be starting in the Fall of 2013. It will place blind kids, Grades K - 4 in a magnet program which will allow for concentrated teaching of braille and other skills. Michael expressed hi frustration with not having enough time for meaningful braille instruction under the current system. Sara and Michael want our input and advice on this pilot program, which will occur on a case by case basis. Members stressed the need for many options for blind children. We will continue to work with our teacher colleagues to ensure that blind students can get an equal educational opportunity to their sighted peers.

James Janney and Josie Armantrout brought refreshments which were enjoyed by all.  Everyone was happy to have a stable meeting place for our meetings.

Come join us on the 16th. Please call me with ideas for programs, guest speakers, fundraising and other projects.

Marci Carpenter

206-933-7971

mjc59 at q.com