[nfbwatlk] Plead For Help

Lillian adorabletoo at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 13:44:04 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

My son needs help. He is friendly, outgoing, very social and
does learn a great deal if taught properly. He has been evaluated at the
schools request and per their evaluators report has no behavioral issues at all.
Goes to school full time. There is no self contained classroom at this school.

On paper it looks like the school district is following the
IEP, the daily schedule that we were given for last year matched what was written
on the IEP (70% regular education, 30% pull out for spec ed services).

Earlier this year by looking at in writing what was going
on. It looked like this year they were only allowing him to be in the regular
education classroom for 30min out of his entire school day. My husband
questioned the regular ed teacher through email and she was very honest with him. She emailed back and said “we
are following what was done last year.” This shocked and horrified us. It turns
out that even though we are at the beginning of the school year and are supposed
to be following the IEP 70% reg ed 30% pull out. The school last year and this
year took it upon themselves to ignore the IEP and make my son either go to the
pull out classroom by himself with para ed or do spec ed work in the hallway by
himself with para ed. Almost his whole entire day consists of him and a para
ed. He is not allowed in the classroom with his peers even though his IEP says
he should be.

 My heart and my husbands is breaking, along
with being mad because they are doing this to our son. They are hurting him academically
(this can be permanent), emotionally (this can be permanent) and socially (this
can be permanent).

Please help! We have an attorney, and a very knowledgeable neuropsychologist
that are aware of this. Our neuropsychologist contacted the spec ed director
but we are still waiting for him to look into this. The IEP meeting to finalize
the IEP for this year is not at least for another three weeks.

Are there any organizations out there that can be contacted
to see if they can help and put pressure on the school district and the school
to follow what is written in the IEP?

Thank you,

Mom in the greater Seattle area