[nfbwatlk] 2012 NFBW Scholarship Winners

mjc59 at q.com mjc59 at q.com
Fri Sep 21 18:48:21 UTC 2012

The scholarship committee met last night and chose this year's scholarship winners. They are: Natalya (Tasha) Budnik of Everett, Wa. and Humberto Avila of Yakima, Wa. Tasha is a Freshman at Everett Community College. Her plan is to take her basic classes there, then transfer to the University of Washington and obtain a Masters Degree in Physical Therapy. Humberto is a Sophomore at Yakima Valley Community College, and has a goal of becoming an Assistive Technology Teacher of blind children. Both of these young people are fine students, and are very appreciative of our assistance. I think that everyone will enjoy getting to know them at convention.

This year, the committee chose the 2 winners, but did not decide on the amount each would receive ($2,000 or $3,000). That decision will be made before the banquet on Saturday evening.

Both Tasha and Humberto are eager to be a part of the Federation. They are both engaging and smart.

I want to express my sincere gratitude to the members of the scholarship committee; Kaye Kipp, Bennett Prows,Maria Bradford and Mike Mello. Everyone worked hard to make this happen. We had excellent applicants, and the committee considered each one carefully. I have spoken to all of the students this morning.

I look forward to seeing  many of you in Everett in October. I think it will be an exciting convention!

Marci Carpenter

Chairperson

Scholarship Committee

NFB of Washington