[nfbwatlk] Fwd: [Wcb-l] Superpowers for the Blind and Deaf The brain rewires itselfto boost the remaining senses

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Sep 19 22:31:33 UTC 2012

The article appears below Sarah's message.

In my opinion, the mistake the article's authors make is to assume that brain plasticity and increased activity in certain areas results in increased acuity or function. How can one truly distinguish organically between increased acuity due to learning and practice and increased acuity due to real increased brain function? How can one truly factor out the stereotypes and biases of the scientists? What would have happened had the scientists devised experiments designed specifically to tease out the influence of learning on the behavior they observe rather then assuming their work confirmed the usual stereotypes we live with every day? For example, did the scientists study tone-deaf blind persons? I suspect not.

Once again, critical thinking takes a dive to stereotypes!

Mike

Begin forwarded message: