[nfbwatlk] What is Faith Talk

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Sep 6 18:00:36 UTC 2012

Debby:

I commend you for a very wise post (below). I agree with you almost completely. It's devastating psychologically to discover that people who profess to be caring, principled, compassionate and without prejudice turn out to be just as flawed as the rest of humanity. And it's certainly true that very often, there is little legal recourse in the face of discrimination in religious institutions. In fact, per your post below, I'm not sure there truly *are* common strategies for combating such prejudicial thinking that work in a majority of cases. It comes down to the all-to-pervasive problem of changing attitudes about blindness one person at a time. I realize that's not a particularly comforting thought, especially when one is without the legal armamentarium of antidiscrimination laws and when, by its very nature, the discriminatory treatment affords little opportunity for constructive dialog and friendship.

The one area I may disagree with you slightly on is your statement that one has only the alternatives of putting up with the discrimination or going elsewhere. Actually, I don't disagree with you here either. But I don't see why that should be so disturbing. To my way of thinking, anyone who discriminates against me as you describe (use of dog guides, for example) does not deserve either my respect or friendship. So I have *absolutely* no compunction of leaving the situation, telling the evil-doers what I think of them. I deserve better and if they won't treat me with dignity, it's *their* loss and I go elsewhere without a second thought! They are way too small-minded to deserve interaction with me.

I realize this sounds arrogant. So be it. Rabbi Hil-el once said: "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when"? There's a reason he was deemed a wise teacher.

Mike