[nfbwatlk] Benefits Counseling Programs

Philip Blackmer pblackmer27 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 05:00:44 UTC 2012

Hi everyone.  My name is Philip Blackmer.  I am looking for information
about job opportunities in the area of benefits counseling.  This is a
relatively new field and is difficult to find much information about on the
web, especially which programs offer benefits counseling services as part of
their other programs and services.  Any information you have would be
greatly appreciated.  I couldn't really find a definition of what benefits
counseling is, but I did find a comment from the following website that
explains in a general sense what benefits counseling is:

http://www.benefits-training.com/

        "Michael Walling of Benefits Training and IMG_1222Consulting
provides workshops, internet-based training, and technical assistance
throughout the United States.

        The focus of my work is the dissemination of information and the
provision of technical assistance on public benefit programs, received by
individuals with disabilities.

        I am committed to the belief people will work and pursue greater
self-sufficiency when they understand how income affects their benefit
programs.  Informed choice is one of the first steps to improving
self-sufficiency and personal independence."