[nfbwatlk] From the Archives: FW: A Job Well Done!

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Sep 2 08:34:46 UTC 2012

Bear in mind that we weren't (and still are not) protesting all audible
pedestrian signals although certain among us -- Gary Mackenstadt and I, for
example -- still believe there are *far* too many audible signals around.
What NFB stands for is that (1) such things be put only where they are
absolutely needed and that (2) this need be determined by the blind folks in
the area (of both ACB and NFB) and not as determined by traffic engineers
and assorted other do-gooders.
Personally, I don't mind audible signals that say or sound something *once*
and then shut up. But we're never going to have signals everywhere as ACB
often seems to advocate and so we protested. I reprinted these posts so
people could see the sort of thing we did in the NFB of Washington (I'm
always being asked about this).

Thanks for the kudos on the article. I don't think it ever did make it to
the Monitor.

Mike