[nfbwatlk] Is it illegal to not open your eyes while on agovernment-issued ID picture or passport?

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Sep 1 13:51:46 UTC 2012

I suspect insisting upon iris or retinal scans without provision for at
least one other biometric and one nonbiometric alternative would be a
violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. I've worried about this
since the mid-1990's. To my knowledge, however, there isn't much case law on
this. It would be interesting to do some legal research to see, say, if
there have been cases where prisoners with no hands were discriminated
against because of the inability to take fingerprints.

In any event, barring some legal nicety of which I am unaware, if you,
Humberto, or anyone else, was unable to get a state ID card due to inability
to open eyes, we'd have a go through either Federal Court or, more probably,
both an ADA complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice and a civil rights
complaint with HHS and perhaps a state human rights complaint also and I'm
certain we'd have things straightened out in short order. A word to Patty
Murray's office might do the trick also.

But let's not assume there'd be a problem until it happens.

Mike Freeman