[nfbwatlk] From Anil Lewis

Mon Oct 22 22:04:36 UTC 2012

I'm sure we'll get this posted several times, but its important.  Thanks to Jerry Hathaway's post on another list.

:

Subject: [Chapter-presidents] Legislative Alert: Urgent Action needed on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)

The following is from Jesse Hartle

Fellow Federationists:

                We have been working to build support for the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).  Ratification of the CRPD would solidify the United States as a global leader on disability rights, and protect Americans with disabilities who travel, work, study, or serve abroad.    The opposition has stated that the disability community is uninformed and does not really support the disability rights treaty.   The National Federation of the Blind must take action to urge our Senators to support this important initiative.  We believe that the Senate will take a vote on this treaty after the elections, and we are now partnering with over 250 disability groups to maximize the push for ratification of the CRPD treaty.

The NFB has been assigned next Wednesday October 24, 2012, as the first of our three days of action.  We would like to use this day to target members of the Senate through social media tools.  Below you will find a list of Twitter handles for members of the United States Senate, and a draft message to be used.  You should also try to get those who follow you on Twitter to retweet your messages to ensure a greater number of people learn about the treaty.  If you do not have a Twitter account, or your Senator does not have a Twitter account, we would like you to try and alert your Senator through their Facebook page; if you use Facebook be sure to tag the National Federation of the Blind in your post.  Please contact me with any questions.  I have included my contact information below the list of Twitter handles.  Thank you all very much for your hard work in advance on this important issue.

Draft Message (144 characters):

I am a blind person who supports the #CRPD. I urge @(insert Senators Handle) to support passage of this important policy for disabled Americans.

Alabama

Richard Shelby