[nfbwatlk] NFSB of WA 2012 Convention

Mon Oct 22 14:59:44 UTC 2012

Sorry about the S in the subject line of my post.

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Prows, Bennett (HHS/OCR)
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 7:21 AM
To: NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List
Subject: [nfbwatlk] NFSB of WA 2012 Convention

This year's convention was excellent.  I join others who congratulate all who were elected to the board this year. I never cease to be amazed about how things come together at our family gatherings. We went into the convention with virtually no resolutions drafted, and by the end of our committee meeting on Friday evening, we had five. The results of the resolutions deliberations, both in committee and on the floor on Sunday will be posted soon.

The auction was also a success.  While our income was down, I can't underestimate my pleasure at the nature and extent of the resourcefulness that always gets us interesting, tasty, and even warming items for sale. There is something to be said for the personal touch of those who generously donate of their time and expertise in bringing homemade baked goods, and household enhancing items as well.

The Saturday agenda was full of the usual educational information, and good energetic discussion of topics near and dear to the hearts of all Federationists and friends.  Patti Chang was an outstanding national representative, and it was a doubly exciting time for this year's scholarship winners, since Patti is also national chair of the scholarship committee and program. She was flanked by her entire family at the banquet, as her husband Francisco, and daughter Julia had travelled wither to Everett to visit her Cousin and family who also were very much present and welcome Saturday evening. We certainly hope to see more of the entire Chang Gregory clan in future activities of the NFB in  Washington State.

I for one was extremely glad to see Maria Bradford back in the saddle again from Spokane with her contingent from the Inland Empire Chapter. She always shows her determination and stamina for the NFB events, and we all are with her in spirit as she continues to recover from her recent setbacks.

I also was encouraged by Cindy Bennett's efforts to begin the process of creating a vital and vibrant student division in Washington State.  Those of us on and off the board need to not only support her, but energetically pitch in so this project grows into a valuable permanent part of our NFB affiliate.

>From my standpoint, we left the convention with our batteries recharged, (that coming from the erstwhile "dead battery Ben"), and we are now on a mission to grow and make this NFB State affiliate one of the best.  Thanks to Mike Freeman, Gary and Denise Mackenstadt, Doug Johnson  and all who worked hard to make this convention a rousing success.

/s/

Bennett Prows