[nfbwatlk] FW: [MAYORMCGINN] The Reader - Opportunity, Education and Green Innovation in Chongqing

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 07:44:25 UTC 2012

THE READER
>From the Office of Mayor Mike McGinn
News, Updates, and Information

MONDAY, MARCH 19, 2012

Opportunity, Education and Green Innovation in Chongqing
This week, Mayor McGinn will visit our sister city of Chongqing, China. It's
an opportunity to promote our innovative local businesses, deepen our
cultural ties, and help more of Seattle's children get the chance to study
abroad. The trip, which is funded by the Trade Development Alliance and the
city of Chongqing, will focus on connecting Seattle residents to
opportunities for education and green innovation in one of China's
fastest-growing cities.

In preparation for the trip, the mayor posted some
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/opportunity-education-and-green-innovation-i
n-chongqing/> thoughts about the delegation's focus and goals. Karen Kodama,
International Education Administrator for Seattle Public Schools, wrote
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/details-on-education-effort-in-mayors-delega
tion-to-chongqing/> about the importance of having Seattle students visit
Chongqing and be immersed in the Chinese language and culture. The
delegation will meet with the Chongqing Municipal Education Commission to
discuss increasing the number of sister schools with Seattle Public Schools.

  _____

>From the 2012 Transportation Action Agenda: Keeping it Safe
Our Transportation  <http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/sdotreports.htm>
Action Agenda helps guide the work that we do at the City on transportation
issues. Safety is SDOT's most important priority - our goal is a city where
no one dies in a traffic collision.

People expect to feel safe and comfortable as they are out and about on
Seattle's streets, sidewalks, and trails. Well-placed changes that focus on
pedestrians and bicyclists improve safety for our most vulnerable road users
and can encourage more people to try getting around on people power,
especially for short trips. Additionally, safer streets are efficient
streets. They have fewer and less severe collisions, allowing everyone to
get where they are going safely and with less hassle.

"Keeping it Safe" is the first of five principles in the Transportation
Action Agenda. Our approach to keeping it safe includes four different
policy goals:

1. Reduce collisions for all modes and work toward zero fatalities and
serious injuries
2. Educate the traveling public to respect and protect one another
3. Minimize conflicts in the right of way to accommodate all travelers
4. Be ready to respond to emergencies

To examine all the policy goals, actions, and the metrics that we'll use to
keep it safe, we invite you to take a closer look at the Transportation
<http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/sdotreports.htm> Action Agenda.

  _____

Get Engaged on City boards and commissions
The Get Engaged <http://GetEngagedSeattle.org>  program is recruiting 15
young people aged 18-29 for service on Seattle's public boards and
commissions. Commissioners help shape policy decisions, make
recommendations, and provide citizen participation in city government. The
15 boards range in interest areas -- from design, to human rights to LGBT:
there's something for everyone.

In addition to service on a public board for one year, participants meet
monthly as a cohort for leadership competency training, issue discussions
and other activities.

Get Engaged is dedicated to advocating for youth voice in city affairs and
to cultivating local leaders, especially those who have had limited
opportunities to be involved in their community. You don't need any prior
experience serving on boards to be a qualified candidate.

The application deadline is May 14.

Learn more:
Detailed program information: http://GetEngagedSeattle.org/Apply
Check out the boards we serve: http://getengagedseattle.org/boards-we-serve/
Hear from alumna Leanne: http://vimeo.com/album/1868519
Contact Roni Ayalla at rayalla at seattleymca.org or (206) 250-2456

  _____

Upcoming Events (for more see http://seattle.gov/mayor/Engage/access.htm):

March 19: 6:30 p.m. - Arts Education Community Meeting, South Shore K-8
(4800
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4800+S+Henderson+St+seattle&hl=en&sll=37.0625
,-95.677068&sspn=59.076726,135.263672&hnear=4800+S+Henderson+St,+Seattle,+Wa
shington+98118&t=m&z=16> S Henderson St)

March 19: 6:30 p.m. - City Light Strategic Plan Public Forum - New Holly
Gathering Place (7054
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7054+32nd+Ave+S+seattle&hl=en&sll=47.523221,-
122.272226&sspn=0.012491,0.033023&hnear=7054+32nd+Ave+S,+Seattle,+Washington
+98108&t=m&z=16> 32nd Ave S)

March 20: 6:30 p.m. - City Light Strategic Plan Public Forum - Northgate
Community Center (10510
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=10510+5th+Ave+NE+seattle&hl=en&sll=47.539504,
-122.29068&sspn=0.012487,0.033023&hnear=10510+5th+Ave+NE,+Seattle,+Washingto
n+98125&t=m&z=16> 5th Ave NE)

March 27: 7:00 p.m. - Open House at Seacrest Boathouse (1660
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1660+Harbor+Ave+SW+seattle&hl=en&sll=47.70613
7,-122.323129&sspn=0.012447,0.033023&hnear=1660+Harbor+Ave+SW,+Seattle,+King
,+Washington+98116&t=m&z=16> Harbor Ave SW)

  _____

What we're reading:
How
<http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2012/03/how-amazon-got-ur
ban-campus-right/1485/> Amazon Got the Urban Campus Right

Downtown <http://seattletransitblog.com/2012/03/13/downtown-inequality/> 's
Inequality Problem

Making
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/us/program-aims-to-make-the-streets-of-sa
n-francisco-easier-to-park-on.html> the Streets of San Francisco Easier to
Park On

Seattle
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/us/seattle-gets-the-peoples-view-on-led-s
treetlights.html> Gets the Street View on the Quality of Its Lights

  _____

Recent blog posts:
Kicking
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/kicking-off-the-next-phase-of-king-street-st
ation-restoration/> off the next phase of King Street Station restoration

Details
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/details-on-education-effort-in-mayors-delega
tion-to-chongqing/> on education effort in mayor's delegation to Chongqing

From
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/from-the-2012-transportation-action-agenda-k
eeping-it-safe/> the 2012 Transportation Action Agenda: Keeping it Safe

  _____

Upcoming Outreach  <http://seattle.gov/mayor/engage/access.htm> Events -
Blog <http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov>  - Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Mayor-Mike-McGinn/224859138615>
- Twitter <http://twitter.com/mayormcginn>  - Flickr
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/46003680@N04/>

Engage  <http://seattle.gov/engage> Seattle - Jobs Plan
<http://seattle.gov/mayor/jobsplan/>  - Nightlife
<http://seattle.gov/mayor/nightlife>  - Walk Bike Ride
<http://walkbikeride.seattle.gov/>  - Youth and Families
<http://youthandfamilies.seattle.gov/>

 City logo
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/SeattleLogo90x90.
gif>
Office of the Mayor
City of Seattle

  _____

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add
MAYORMCGINN at TALK2.SEATTLE.GOV to your address book.

To subscribe or unsubscribe, click
<http://TALK2.SEATTLE.GOV/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=MAYORMCGINN&A=1> here.