[nfbwatlk] FW: [MAYORMCGINN] The Reader - Transportation Action Agenda released

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 14 07:54:08 UTC 2012

THE READER
>From the Office of Mayor Mike McGinn
News, Updates, and Information

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 7, 2012

2012 Transportation Action Agenda Released
Today Mayor McGinn and the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT)
released
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/city-releases-2012-transportation-action-age
nda/> the 2012 Action Agenda, laying out for the next two years a clear,
transparent, and accessible set of transportation policies. It describes the
actions we will take and shows how we will measure our success. It is
focused on actions that yield the biggest returns for Seattle, organized
around five guiding principles:

. Keeping it Safe - using engineering, education, enforcement and evaluation
to improve safety for all, and reduce fatalities and injuries
. Focusing on the Basics - maintaining, protecting, preserving and enhancing
our capital assets
. Building Healthy Communities - supporting sustainability, livability and
equitable growth
. Supporting a Thriving Economy - keeping people and goods moving, and
creating great places that attract businesses
. Providing Great Service - helping people access transportation services
and information

We encourage you to review the Action
<http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/actionagenda.htm> Agenda to learn
about the work SDOT is doing and the values that drive our work.
 <http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/actionagenda.htm>

  _____

Police arrest 48 in burglary sting operation
In an effort to combat rising property crime in Seattle, members of the
Seattle Police Department's Major Crimes Task Force (MCTF) and Pawn
Shop/Property Recovery Unit rounded up burglars, car prowlers, and other
criminal suspects caught selling stolen goods to undercover detectives at an
SPD-run fencing operation during a year-long investigation, Operation
Oliver's Twist.

Detectives from the Seattle Police Department's Major Crimes Task Force and
the Pawn Shop/Property Recovery Unit, working with the King County
Prosecuting Attorney's Office (KCPAO) and the FBI, set up a storefront
fencing operation - a tactic not used by SPD since 1979 - where undercover
officers spent 11 months buying stolen goods from suspects for pennies on
the dollar, with no questions asked.

Click  <http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/operation-olivers-twist/> here for
more information on the results of this operation, including how to recover
stolen items.

  _____

Upcoming Events (for more see http://seattle.gov/mayor/Engage/access.htm):

March 7: 5:00 p.m. - Arena  <http://seattle.gov/arena> review panel public
meeting, Bertha Knight Landes Room, Seattle City Hall (600
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=600+4th+Ave+seattle&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677
068&sspn=59.076726,135.263672&hnear=600+4th+Ave,+Seattle,+Washington+98104&t
=m&z=16> 4th Ave)

March 10: 11:00 a.m. - Wedgwood
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/3.10.12-Wedgwood-
Neighborhood-Visit-Flier.pdf> neighborhood town hall with Mayor McGinn,
Wedgwood Presbyterian Church (8008
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=8008+35th+Ave+NE+seattle&hl=en&sll=47.563775,
-122.363035&sspn=0.012481,0.033023&hnear=8008+35th+Ave+NE,+Seattle,+Washingt
on+98115&t=m&z=16> 35th Ave NE)

March 12: 10:30 a.m. - Liquor Control Board public
<http://liq.wa.gov/rules/extended-hours-rule-making> meeting about extended
hours, Seattle City Hall (600
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=600+4th+Ave+seattle&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677
068&sspn=59.076726,135.263672&hnear=600+4th+Ave,+Seattle,+Washington+98104&t
=m&z=16> 4th Ave)

March 13: 5:30 p.m. - Mayor's
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/3-13-12-Outreach-
flier-Delridge-Town-Hall.pdf> Town Hall, Youngstown Cultural Arts Center
(4408
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4408+Delridge+Way+SW+seattle&hl=en&sll=47.603
828,-122.330056&sspn=0.012471,0.033023&hnear=4408+Delridge+Way+SW,+Seattle,+
Washington+98106&t=m&z=16> Delridge Way SW)

  _____

What we're reading:
Potential
<http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/03/02/potential-shooting-pos
sibly-averted-at-south-seattle-wake> Shooting Possibly Averted at South
Seattle Wake

In
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/realestate/commercial/amazon-leads-an-off
ice-upswing-in-seattle.html> Seattle, Amazon Leads an Upswing in Office
Space

Visitors
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2017625436_seattletourism01.ht
ml> spend $5.9 billion in Seattle area in 2011

The
<http://www.fastcoexist.com/1679412/the-future-metropolis-index-us-cities-wi
th-the-best-urban-policies> Future Metropolis Index: U.S. Cities With The
Best Urban Policies

  _____

Recent blog posts:

City
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/city-releases-2012-transportation-action-age
nda/> releases 2012 Transportation Action Agenda

Operation  <http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/operation-olivers-twist/>
Oliver's Twist

Nickerson
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/nickerson-street-project-improves-safety/>
Street project improves safety

The  <http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/the-weekend-in-pictures-4/> weekend in
pictures

  _____

Upcoming Outreach  <http://seattle.gov/mayor/engage/access.htm> Events -
Blog <http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov>  - Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Mayor-Mike-McGinn/224859138615>
- Twitter <http://twitter.com/mayormcginn>  - Flickr
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/46003680@N04/>

Engage  <http://seattle.gov/engage> Seattle - Jobs Plan
<http://seattle.gov/mayor/jobsplan/>  - Nightlife
<http://seattle.gov/mayor/nightlife>  - Walk Bike Ride
<http://walkbikeride.seattle.gov/>  - Youth and Families
<http://youthandfamilies.seattle.gov/>

 City logo
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/SeattleLogo90x90.
gif>
Office of the Mayor
City of Seattle

  _____

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add
MAYORMCGINN at TALK2.SEATTLE.GOV to your address book.

To subscribe or unsubscribe, click
<http://TALK2.SEATTLE.GOV/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=MAYORMCGINN&A=1> here.