[nfbwatlk] FW: reason to get rid of 14(c) status

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Jul 17 01:39:40 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Sherri
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 10:22 AM
To: NFB Talk Mailing List
Subject: [nfb-talk] reason to get rid of 14(c) status

Let's all get behind removing the 14(c) status from the fair labor standards
act. Here are some reasons provided to me by Anil Lewis. Thanks much Anil.

The 33% subminimum wage vocational goal finding was from data obtained from
a longitudinal survey and presented during a presentation at the 2011 TASH
conference in Atlanta by Butterworth of the Institute for Community
Inclusion (ICI).

The following is additional data related to the negative consequences from
the use of Section 14(c )

  a.. Approximately 33% of students in K thru 12 have sheltered subminimum
wage workshops as their vocational goal.  We have given up on them before
they have been provided a proper education and they will never reach their
full potential. A generation lost.(Butterworth)

  a.. Approximately 95% of people employed in a subminimum wage work
environment will never transition out of that environment.  They will never
receive the necessary training and support to be productive employees.  They

will remain beneficiaries of public programs, never to become fully
participating citizens. (GAO Report)

  a.. Approximately 50% of workers with disabilities employed under a
Special Wage certificate earn less than half the federal minimum wage.  They

are paid, supposedly based on their productivity, in menial jobs determined
by their employer, not jobs that meet their strengths, interests, unique
talents or abilities. (GAO Report)

  a.. Approximately 25% of workers with disabilities employed under a
Special Wage certificate earn less than $1 per hour.  (We have documentation

of a worker with a disability being paid 3 cents per hour.)  This is an
assertion, day after day, that they are not as good as everyone else. (GAO
Report)

  a.. Research shows that many of the skills acquired in a sheltered
subminimum wage work environment must be unlearned in order for a worker
with a disability to obtain competitive integrated employment.(Cimera)

Sherri Brun
flmom2006 at gmail.com