[nfbwatlk] FW: [List] Dallas NFB Convention was great

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Jul 12 02:53:55 UTC 2012

From: list-bounces at cfb.ca [mailto:list-bounces at cfb.ca] On Behalf Of
list at cfb.ca
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:33 PM
To: list at cfb.ca
Subject: [List] Dallas NFB Convention was great

Hi all,

Just a little note to say that we thoroughly enjoyed the National Federation
of the Blind convention in Dallas, Texas this past week.

As usual, there were a couple thousand attendees.  Everywhere, canes were
tapping.  Occasionally, in amidst the ruckus, guide dog paws could be heard.
Voices came from every direction, excited and positive.  The posh Hilton
Anatole Hotel was alive and blindness was the norm.

There were seminars on all sorts of topics, ranging from chapter building,
blind parenting, Blio, etc and division meetings of all sorts from bllind
entrepreneurs, writers, lawyers, almost every imaginable profession.  The
general session, with many interesting, informative and inspirational
speeches, lasted 3 days.  The Exhibit Hall, full of technology to learn
about and try, and the NFB Independence Market were so interesting.  There
were so many things to attend that some found it hard to fit in all what
they wanted to do.

We attended the Louisiana Center for the Blind play one evening.  It was
fantastic.  The play was about the life of America's first blind medical
doctor, Dr Jacob Bolotin, and about the discrimination that challenged him.

We attended the barbeque held in the hotel park, enjoyed good food and free
beer and live music by a blind performer.

The banquet, always the highlight of any convention, was great.  We enjoyed
a sit-down 3 course meal, including a superb chocolate cake for dessert.  We
were entertained by a blind opera singer, then Dr Marc Maurer gave his
wonderful banquet address.  Many scholarships were awarded to the winning
students, some as much as $10,000 each.

Looking at the convention registration printout, there were 18 Canadians
registered, but on top of that there were family members who were not
recorded.  CFB had some first-time attendees and judging by the volume of
voices, when Dr Maurer asked who were first-time attendees, it seemed that
many attendees were.

The hotel was buzzing during this week, including in the hotel restaurants
where we enjoyed some good food and company.

One of the things I learned about are certain kind of bugs found in the U.S.
south called cicadas.  They are in the trees and when the weather gets hot
(it usually was in the 90's F) they made the most eerie, Alfred
Hitchcock-type of sound.  While we were at the barbeque was when we really
could hear them.

Another item of interest to me was seeing the new NFB folding cane.  It is
lightweight and tapers like a rigid cane, but folds into a small item in
your hand, not as bulky as the metal folding canes.  I also saw a completely
gold-coloured telescoping cane, which is one like Stevie Wonder has,
according to the man who designed it.

This is my fourth convention, the last time was in 1999.  It was so much fun
to once again attend it.  As before, I gained so much to take into my daily
life and am recharged with the knowledge of how capable blind people are,
but am also reminded of how important the work of the NFB is for bringing
about positive change for the blind.

It's also not often that we can stay in a high-end hotel, like the Hilton
Anatole, which usually costs close to $300 a night, for around $68.

The next 4 annual NFB conventions will be held in Orlando, Florida, at
another posh resort.  Maybe you will consider attending or re-attending one!

Cheers, Doris