[nfbwatlk] UW researcher needs people who have been blind since early childhood

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Mon Jul 9 17:34:12 UTC 2012

Dr. Ione Fine at the University of Washington is looking for subjects for a study that examines the effects of blindness on the ability to process tactile and auditory processing. It is thought that because visual loss increases the need to rely on other senses, the ability of blind people to process auditory and tactile information may be enhanced. We are examining how this happens in the brain. If you choose to participate you will be asked to participate in MR experiments.

We will ask you to lie in an MR scanner while you make simple judgments about tactile and/or auditory stimuli. You may be asked to participate in as many as five MR imaging sessions (each session lasts up to 2 hours, and each session will be carried out on a different day).  Participants will be paid $45/hour for imaging sessions. Subjects will also be fully compensated for travel time (compensation is generally $90-$135 per session) and door to door transportation via a car service will be provided.

Subjects participating in the MR experiments must have no metal objects in or on the body during the scan.

Currently we are only recruiting subjects who became blind (using the definition of having visual acuity of light perception or worse) before the age of three.

Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Dr. Ione Fine at the phone number or email address below.

Eligibility: To participate you must be 18 years of age or older, should be blind due to damage to the eyes or optic nerve (not cortical impairment), should have no history of claustrophobia, and no metal objects in or on the body during the scan.

Contact Information: 206-685-6157
ionefine at u.washington.edu<mailto:ionefine at u.washington.edu>
(Pease note: the confidentiality of information sent via e-mail cannot be ensured.)