[nfbwatlk] Colorado Center for the Blind

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 06:25:44 UTC 2012

Oh Marci, thanks!  Gosh, I'm definitely ready to go.  I just sent
an email to someone in WCB and basically told her that it's not
all about skills.  I could take a Hadley course or two and
probably get the skills.  It's the inside of me that needs to
change, and I can't do it by myself.  I really blew off a lot of
stuff when we were at the OTC together.  I thought that it was
too radical.  That's not to say that I haven't made some good
friends in both ACB and WCB, but does this sound weird?  I need
more.  I guess I don't want to sit through wimpy classes about
how we can "compensate" for our blindness by having good skills.
Compensate hell!  I want people to accept me as a normal person
who just happens to be blind.  But I have to accept myself that
way too.  Am I crazy?  I can't seem to get some people to
understand what I'm even talking about.  My husband for one.  He
loves me, but he also loves being my "caregiver" in some ways.
But I'm his wife, and sure spouses take care of each other, but
it has to work both ways.  Sigh.  I have to say if the cost is
more than DSB and I can't figuhe out some funding I'm going to be
very disappointed.  But hey, maybe we could go have coffee once
in a while if I'm in Seattle at the OTC?  Well, have a great
weekend.    Peace,    Debby