[nfbwatlk] Spam Message Analysis

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Jan 24 03:50:52 UTC 2012

Normally, I'd consider this off-topic. However, there has been a surfeit
lately of messages purporting to come from American Airlines, Fedex, the FBI
and a host of other more-or-less reputable institutions. They're all spam.

It's instructive to look at the Internet headers for such a message. I
reproduce those for a message to me purportedly coming from FedEx notifying
me of a shipment which I must verify, of course, by downloading a form in an
attachment which, of course, contains a virus or Trojan that probably turns
my computer into a "zombie" that sends out spam messages for some nefarious
soul.

Anyway, here are the Internet headers. I realize it may look and sound like
gobldygook but read carefully.

>From rowdyismoi15 at us-cert.gov Mon Jan 23 11:28:54 2012

                by mailbackend.panix.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 7A5CA2EBE3

                for <k7uij at panix.com>; Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:22:24 -0500 (EST)

(host172-3-static.90-82-b.business.telecomitalia.it [82.90.3.172])

                by mail2.panix.com (Postfix) with SMTP id E6D9638E4F

                for <k7uij at panix.com>; Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:19:41 -0500 (EST)

                by host172-3-static.90-82-b.business.telecomitalia.it with
esmtpa (Exim 4.69)

                (envelope-from )

                id 1MM7FV-6971wr-M0

                for <k7uij at panix.com>