[nfbwatlk] FW: American Action Fund Makes Free Braille Books Available Online

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Feb 29 00:03:08 UTC 2012

From: Freeh, Jessica [mailto:JFreeh at nfb.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:30 AM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: American Action Fund Makes Free Braille Books Available Online

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

 <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org

American Action Fund Makes Free Braille Books Available Online

Baltimore, Maryland (February 28, 2012): The American Action Fund for Blind
Children and Adults (AAF) is making its free Braille books for blind
children available online as downloadable BRF files.  Since 1997, the AAF
has provided popular and award-winning children's books, including titles
from popular series, to blind children throughout the United States as well
as to libraries and other organizations that serve blind children.  The
books have been and will continue to be distributed by mail, but now readers
and libraries will also be able to download them from the American Action
Fund Web site.  <http://www.actionfund.org/actionfund/default.asp> The BRF
files are ready to be used on Braille notetakers and other Braille-aware
devices.

Barbara Loos, president of the American Action Fund for Blind Children and
Adults, said: "The American Action Fund is pleased to make our free Braille
books for blind children available on the Internet.  Technology is making
Braille more widely available than ever before, and we are proud to become
part of this exciting trend."

Dr. Marc Maurer, AAF executive director, said: "Braille literacy is one of
the highest predictors of success in later life for blind students, so we
want to do everything in our power to ensure that blind children have free
and easy access to Braille books.  This initiative will set blind children
on a path to achievement and independence-not to mention giving them the
simple joy of reading a good book."

###