[nfbwatlk] FW: Fwd: [Announce] announcing Battle of the Note Takers on Main Menu

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Feb 23 04:23:29 UTC 2012

From: wcb-l-bounces at wcbinfo.org [mailto:wcb-l-bounces at wcbinfo.org] On Behalf
Of Marlaina Lieberg
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:09 PM
To: WCLList family
Subject: [Wcb-l] Fwd: [Announce] announcing Battle of the Note Takers on
Main Menu

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Chase Crispin" <chase.crispin at gmail.com>

Subject: [Announce] announcing Battle of the Note Takers on Main Menu

Date: February 22, 2012 7:58:28 PM PST

Hello Everyone,

On behalf of the entire Main Menu team, I am very excited to announce a
continuation on our popular note taker coverage on Main Menu.  As many of
you know, last August, we presented a very popular show about note takers
vs. mainstream technology.  We received more feedback on that show than we
have ever had on any segments in the past.  Many of you asked for more
coverage of note takers and why they are still needed for some people.
After a lot of discussion on how to best cover this and a lot of very hard
work by many members of the Main Menu team, we are pleased to announce the
battle of the note takers.  Each week for the next 7 weeks, including this
coming Friday, we will have a specific task to demonstrate.  We have
selected the most popular tasks that you will want to see on a note taker
when choosing a device that meets your needs or when deciding if you need a
note taker or a mainstream device.  After the conclusion of all of the
tasks, we will feature a panel discussion as a conclusion where we will have
one representative from each note taker talking about many aspects of their
device.  We hope to be the first to answer the question for you of whether
blindness specific devices are still needed, which is perhaps the most
controversial debate in the blind community today.  In the battle of the
note takers, we will cover the following devices.

Pac Mate Omni from Freedom Scientific

Braille Note Apex from Humanware

Braille/Voice Sense from HIMS

Maestro PDA from Humanware

Icon/Braille Plus from LevelStar and APH

We realize that some of these devices are no longer sold.  We realize that
these devices are expensive and very hard for some of you to purchase.  Some
of you may have to receive a device no longer manufactured, so we are
including two now discontinued but still popular devices to help you know
what device is best, even if it's not the latest and greatest.

For more information about the battle of the note takers, please listen to
last week's Main Menu for February 17th, 2012, where I provided a bit more
info about this upcoming series of segments.

So, please join the host of Main Menu, David Tanner and many reviewers
starting this Friday at 9 PM eastern right here on ACB Radio Mainstream for
the first segment in the battle of the note takers.  For those of you who
are not interested in this topic, don't worry.  Half of each Main Menu show
for the next several weeks will feature our regular coverage of other
technology.  Stay tuned to an announcement coming soon of what else will be
heard on Main Menu this week.

We look forward to having you join us on Main Menu for the battle of the
note takers!  Please feel free to let your family and friends know about our
upcoming coverage, and please let us know if you have any comments,
questions, or suggestions via email at:

mainmenu at acbradio.org

or via our twitter at:

http://www.twitter.com/mainmenu