[nfbwatlk] DSB Director's update on the budget

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Tue Aug 14 16:03:11 UTC 2012

From: Drumheller, Ellen (DSB) [mailto:ellen.drumheller at dsb.wa.gov] On Behalf Of Durand, LouOma (DSB)
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 10:56 AM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: Director's update on the budget

Hi Everyone:

The budget news is good.  It is also complex, so I will try to explain it in a clear way.

We have ended the state fiscal year (June 30, 2012) in excellent shape.  Much thanks to all of you who are good stewards of our resources and also to Jim Lochner and the Execuitve Team for their leadership in making spending decisions.

It turns out, even after the roller coaster of the most recent legislative session, that we are still in a decent position over all, and in a very good position in VR.  This is what I mean:

For the current state fiscal year 2013:

*         We can continue to deliver services to children and families at  the same level as before, because the Legislature restored the Governor's proposed budget cut from  last year.

*         We can continue to deliver services to the older blind population at the same level as before, at least for this year.  But this  is a year-by-year situation where we infuse special money (like SSA reimbursement dollars) when we can.  IL OB funding is still a problem for the immediate and sustainable future.

*         We are robust in terms of what we can do for our  VR customers.   This is somewhat hard to realize when state dollars have been so short and we have been suffering severe impacts in our state economy.  While our  Independent Living clients are continually underserved, because of the limited funding stream for their programs, we actually have carry-over federal dollars from last year to spend on our VR clients.  We now have the opportunity to brainstorm with you some new initiatives for our VR clients, which include very exciting things, like:

o   Hiring an additional VRC and RT

o   Getting substitute teachers on contract for the OTC

o   Contracting for a job developer and AT trainer

o   Adding an apartment to the OTC residential  program

o   Air conditioners for the apartments

o   More resources for the YES program

o   More AT/LV lab resources

o   More staff training

o   Upgrade OTC equipment

o   New staff technology - portable connectivity devices

We are also in the process of developing our new biennial budget proposal for state FY 14-15.  Here is our strategy.   We want and welcome your feedback.

*          We do not anticipate any increase in state funding, but we want to position ourselves by calling attention to the needs of the older blind population and children and families.  We will ask for more dollars to serve Independent Living clients under age 55 and also for the growing older blind population.

*         We will make the case for the need for more direct service delivery staff (FTEs) and also for the authority to capture the federal dollars that could  come to us if we can provide state/ local  match.

Please call  or email me if you have thoughts or questions about where we are headed with the budget and future planning.  I welcome your ideas.

Thanks for your interest,
Lou Oma

Lou Oma Durand
Executive Director
WA State Dept. of Services for the Blind
Seattle: 206-906-5535
Olympia: 360-725-3835
louoma.durand at dsb.wa.gov<mailto:louoma.durand at dsb.wa.gov>