[nfbwatlk] Article regarding NY streets

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 00:55:50 UTC 2012

Hi Ben, the situation with the sidewalk and street just blending
together is dangerous, in my opinion.  It also can really mess up
your orientation.  Back when I lived in Eugene, Oregon the city
put in these lovely little island things called woonerfs.  (I'm
spebbling that wrong).  But basically they're little islands with
flowers and stuff that are wonderful to look at.  But the problem
with them is that there was no way to distinguish between street
and sidewalk.  No one in the blind community knew that these
things were being put in.  One day my friend GWENETH and I were
walking to a particular destination and suddenly we realized that
we had walked several blocks too far.  We did ask directions and
got back on track.  It turned out that the city had put an ad in
the newspaper asking for public comment.  What they forgot was
that none of us, as blind folks could read the newspaper.  (This
was back before Newsline, and I don't think there was a Radio
Reading Service in the Eugene area.  So they had already
installed these "cool things".  They were quite upset with us
"blind people" because we had not expressed any concern.  We
asked them when they had asked for our feedback.  They were
appalled when they realized that well, duh, none of the blind
folks read the newspaper.  They had to go back and put a tactile
warning at the street so people would know that they were
crossing an intersection.  It actually turned out for the good,
because they actually decided that it would be a good thing to
have some blind folks on the Human Rights Council for the city.
Gweneth was one of the best cane travelers I knew, so no matter
how skillful one was with a cane, they'd have missed those street
crossings.  It was also summer and the university was not in full
session, so traffic was pretty quiet.  It was like walking along
a big cement desert with seemingly no end.  It's true that the
world cannot totally accommodate us as blind people, but there
are some things that I think are important.  One of those things
is knowing when you are at a curb to cross a street.  There needs
to be some kind of slope, tactile something, or an actual ramp
(but you don't want to ever use those to line up with or you'll
end up doing a diagonal.  Yikes!  But I'm not telling you guys
anything you don't know, just saying that I think it's a bad
policy to make flat intersections so you can't figure out when
you're actually crossing a street.

Well, enough of my ramblings.  Peace,    Debby