[nfbwatlk] FW: Traffic Mike presents "Designing Streets for Everyone" May 3rd press release

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 13 07:34:12 UTC 2012

For Immediate Release From Seattle Neighborhood Greenways

Event links: http://www.facebook.com/events/361597903883577/

http://neighborhoodgreenwayssea.wordpress.com/take-action/city-wide-meetups/

Contact: Alexa Heidrich, 503-327-4715, centralseattlegreenways at gmail.com,
amheidrich at gmail.com

Traffic Mike presents "Designing Streets for Everyone"

Neighborhoods throughout Seattle are reclaiming their local streets for
family-friendly walking and biking routes using Neighborhood Greenways -
safe, low-cost and low-stress walking and biking corridors connecting people
with the places they want to go. By adding traffic calming, safe crossings
at busy streets, and extra trees and greenery, a network of low-traffic
streetEric Bruun; CASCADE-TRANSPORTATION-FORUM at LISTS.SIERRACLUB.ORG  s can
be transformed into useful, park-like routes around the neighborhood.

On May 3rd Central Seattle Greenways is hosting a talk by Michael Hendrix,
"Traffic Mike," who will talk about tools engineers and planners use to
analyze current road conditions, how they propose upgrades to problematic
intersections, and the costs associated with improving the overall safety of
neighborhood streets. He'll also address how engineers work to utilize
existing road infrastructure to improve the safety of streets and
intersections.  Mill will provide examples of other city's failures and
successes, and add to our vocabulary as we advocate to the City to implement
greenways in our neighborhoods.

Mike Hendrix has been working on designing neighborhood greenways and other
bike facilities for over 10 years.  He is a registered Professional Engineer
in both Washington State and Arizona and a certified Professional Traffic
Operations Engineer.  He has been on committees for pedestrian safety
including school zones and crosswalks for the Institute of Transportation
Engineers.  He has also conducted research on bike facilities, some of which
will be included in the NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide's new chapter on
Neighborhood Greenways.

Please join us at the Capitol Hill Library for this opportunity to learn
more about how streets are engineered, and how we can advocate for safer
streets in the language of the Seattle Department of Transportation.

What: Designing Streets for Everyone

Who: For everyone interested in safe streets

When: May 3rd

Where: Capitol Hill Library

425 Harvard Avenue East  Seattle, WA 98102

 ###

Formed in August 2011, Seattle Greenway Organizers is a rapidly growing
coalition representing neighborhoods across Seattle to plan and advocate for
safe and comfortable streets connecting us to the places we use, whether we
walk, drive, ride a bike, push a stroller, or move by wheelchair. Greenway
organizers continue to meet frequently within their own neighborhoods around
Seattle to plan community connections, and come together monthly as a
citywide advocacy coalition. We invite all Seattle neighborhoods to join
this city-wide effort.
 <http://groups.google.com/group/seattle-greenways-organizers>
http://groups.google.com/group/seattle-greenways-organizers
 <http://www.facebook.com/SEAGreenways> http://www.facebook.com/SEAGreenways