[nfbwatlk] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Condemns Lack of Access to New Kindle Fire

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 12:53:23 UTC 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Condemns
 Lack of Access to New Kindle Fire

Baltimore, Maryland (September 29, 2011): The National Federation of the Blind commented today on the release of Amazon�s new Kindle Fire, which cannot be used by people who are blind.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: �Blind Americans have repeatedly asked Amazon to include accessibility for the blind in its Kindle product line.  The feasibility of including accessibility in similar products has been demonstrated.  The Department of Education and the Department of Justice have made it clear that Kindle devices cannot be purchased by educational institutions, libraries, and other entities covered by this country�s disability laws unless the devices are fully accessible.  Despite all this, Amazon has released a brand new Kindle device, the Kindle Fire, which cannot be used by people who are blind.  Enough!  We condemn this latest action by Amazon and reiterate that we will not tolerate technological discrimination.  The National Federation of the Blind seeks nothing less than equal access to all technology for blind people.  It is one of the most critical civil rights issues facing blind Americans in the twenty-first century, and we will do everything in our power to see that this right is secured.�

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people�s lives through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.

  _____

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> .

Do you have a slow PC? <http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen>  Try free scan!