[nfbwatlk] Oregon looks toiPadto makevoting easierforthose with disabilities, The Oregonian, November 7 2011

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Thu Nov 17 05:02:05 UTC 2011

Whirlpool has generally been better than other companies about making their
stoves useful to blind people.  We bought one with a flat top, but it has a
slight difference in texture between the elements and the rest of the cook
top.  That makes it easier to place the pot before turning on the heat.

I've found, though, that the old "tapping the charcoal" method works very
well for finding a hot burner on a flat top stove.  (If you haven't read it,
"Tapping the Charcoal" is a story in a Kernel book by the same name. The
Kernel books can be found on the NFB web site.)

I was afraid of flat top stoves at first, but now I wouldn't want any other
kind!