[nfbwatlk] Interesting technology

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sat Nov 12 21:59:16 UTC 2011

The idea is interesting enough. I'd rather be attached to the robot by
some other means than a stick. Maybe a bluetooth handheld that the user
can use to interface with the machine as a way of sending and receiving
information? I could see it potentially being useful in a grocery
store; but wouldn't it be nice of the unit had information on where
products are stored and lead you right to them?

But as a general travel aid, I wouldn't recommend it for several
reasons. The battery issue is one. Plus, artificial intelligences
aren't yet equipped to handle complex environments, so they are likely
to give bad information. Besides that, the robot can't go downstairs or
handle outdoor surfaces. Not to mention the fact that poor weather
could cause problems.

No, I'd rather use a cane. It does the same thing and allows me to use
it wherever and however I see fit; I can exercise my own intelligence
to know where to go. The sad part is that the product ultimately says
that a blind person is less able to navigate that a semi-intelligent
robot. Nice.

Respectfully,
Jedi