[nfbwatlk] Activists want world to stop using the 'R' word; Campaign deems term offensive and derogatory

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Fri May 27 18:13:58 UTC 2011

I agree that becoming thin skinned and taking offense at everything is an
unproductive way to live.  That's one of my problems with some of the
convolutions many groups go through concerning language.

I also believe strongly in public education.  Most people genuinely want to
treat others with dignity and respect.  (I exempt almost all adolescent boys
from this generalization. Grin!) Sometimes all of us fail to treat others
who are different from us in the way they would like because of what we
don't know about them.
I remember volunteering at a Jewish nursing home and being served roast beef
for lunch.  I asked for a glass of milk and horrified those around me.  I
didn't know at that time that meat and dairy were not to be served at the
same time in a Kosher home.  A few people were offended.  Others simply
informed me about Kosher rules, which led to an interesting discussion that
taught me a lot.  Now I know that there's no such thing as a Kosher
cheeseburger.  I hadn't intended to give offense; I just didn't know
anything.  All of us are ignorant on many subjects; we just differ on the
subject where we're ignorant.  Being ignorant is not an offensive
circumstance.  Deliberately remaining ignorant does reflect badly on the
person who makes that choice.
Dr. Jernigan used to talk about being uninsultable.  His view is that we
should never take offense or feel personally humiliated by what others
thought or said or did about us.  If the ignorance we faced was genuine not
knowing, our job was to educate.  If policies or practices based on
ignorance did not change after education, our job was to use whatever lawful
means at our disposal to change those policies and practices.  But taking it
personally was never part of the plan.  He used to say, "If a snake is about
to bite you, you have to kill the snake, but you should love the snake even
while you're killing it."  Fat lot of good that does to the snake that gets
killed, but it does a lot of good for us to continue to love those who treat
us badly because of their misconceptions about blindness (or because of any
other reason when you get down to it.)  "Love the snake," is the bumper
sticker form of the Beatitudes.

Two pieces of our literature come to mind when I think about this subject.
Blindness: Is the Public Against Us is one.  The other is our resolution on
politically correct language.  Here are links for anyone who wants to read
or reread these items.

http://www.nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/convent/banque75.htm

http://www.nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/vodold/vsum9812.htm